Federal politics chaos: Greg Hunt retires, Christian Porter resigns, Alan Tudge stands aside

·

It’s been a busy few days in Federal politics with the announcement of one resignation, one retirement and one minister stepping aside amid abuse allegations.

Christian Porter:

Former Attorney-General Christian Porter announced his resignation on Facebook on Wednesday, saying he was quitting to spend more time with his family.

“After a long time giving everything I could to the people of Peace, it’s now time to give more of what is left to those around me whose love has been unconditional,” Mr Porter, who moved to the backbench in September, said.

“…even though I have experienced perhaps more of the harshness of modern politics than most, there are no regrets.”

Christian Porter strenuously denied a historical rape allegation at an emotional press conference in March. Photo: ABC News / Hugh Sando.

Mr Porter became embroiled in controversy earlier this year after the ABC reported an unnamed cabinet minister had been accused of raping a woman in 1988.

Mr Porter identified himself as the unnamed cabinet minister and strenuously denied the allegation in a tearful press conference.

The West Australian MP stepped aside from his portfolio while he pursued defamation action against the ABC, which he ultimately discontinued.

Greg Hunt:

Federal Health and Aged Care Minister, Greg Hunt, has also announced today he will retire at the next election and not recontest his seat in Victoria.

Mr Hunt said “it was time to come home” and he was retiring to spend more time with his family.

Greg Hunt has announced his retirement.

He said in leaving politics, he wanted a woman to replace him as the Liberal candidate in his coastal Victorian seat. 

Before becoming Health Minister in 2017, Mr Hunt served as industry, innovation and science minister and before that the environment minister.

Mr Hunt’s retirement comes nearly two years after the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, which saw him play a key role in the government’s evolving response to an unprecedented and rapidly changing situation.

Alan Tudge:

Education Minister Alan Tudge will stand aside pending an independent review run by the Prime Minister’s department into allegations made by former staffer Rachelle Miller about their relationship.

Ms Miller, a former media adviser to Mr Tudge, today alleged the affair they had was emotionally and, on one occasion, physically abusive.

Alan Tudge. Photo: ABC News / Mark Moore.

Mr Tudge denied the allegations, saying he “completely and utterly rejects Ms Miller’s version of events,” and that he regretted the affair.

Addressing Question Time today, Prime Minister Scott Morrison described the allegations as “deeply concerning” and “deeply distressing.”

“Given the seriousness of the claims made by Ms Miller, it’s important these matters be resolved fairly and expeditiously,” Mr Morrison said.

“To this end, the minister has agreed to my request to stand aside while these issues are addressed by my department, through an independent and fair process, to ensure that the matters that have been raised can be properly assessed.”

Mr Morrison said Mr Tudge welcomed the process and was looking forward to participating in the review.

Source: ABC News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

Aaron Zerefos Enterprises acquires Fresco Beverages 

Aaron Zerefos has announced the acquisition of the Fresco Beverages business, enhancing his hold on the Australian drink distribution market. 

Feros Group to take over premier waterfront venue in Darling Harbour

The Feros Group has announced they now own and operate the iconic Helm Bar & Bistro in Sydney's Darling Harbour.

Peter Mamouzelos aims to play in Greece as rugby league grows

Peter Mamouzelos has expressed his ambition to play rugby league in Greece, a goal that has been hindered in the past due to the sport's ban.

You May Also Like

Melbourne Mayor Sally Capp pledges extra $100,000 to Greek precinct on Lonsdale street

An additional $100,000 will be provided to the Greek precinct on Lonsdale Street over the next two years, according to Melbourne Mayor Capp.

SmartSat CRC joins with Hellenic Space Centre to boost Australia-Greece space collaboration

SmartSat Cooperative Research Centre (SmartSat CRC) and the Hellenic Space Centre (HSC) have signed a landmark Memorandum of Understanding.

Greek Australian business wins big at 2024 Australian Fitness Industry Awards

Greek Australian business Fitness Education Online, claimed the prestigious Fitness CEC Provider of the Year award.