Chief Justice Chris Kourakis renews push for Gouger St crossing after barrister struck by car

·

South Australia’s Chief Justice Chris Kourakis has called on Adelaide City Council to push ahead with plans for a zebra crossing on Gouger Street, saying he feels “guilty” for not following up on earlier safety warnings before a barrister was struck by a car at the exact location he raised concerns about in 2021.

Speaking at Tuesday night’s council meeting, Kourakis said he first wrote to the council two years ago about the need for a formal crossing between the Samuel Way District Court and the Supreme Court.

“About two years later I was told a barrister had been hit by a car… and it was suspected he had suffered head injuries,” he said.

“I can’t describe to you the sickening feeling… and describe how guilty I felt that for two years I had not followed up on that letter.

“I want to be able to say I did everything I possibly could to ensure the safety of pedestrians on Gouger St.”

The proposed crossing is part of a $15 million Gouger Street revitalisation project, which includes widened footpaths, additional trees and a new median strip.

Photo: Adelaide City Council.

A 145-signature petition lodged this week opposes the crossing and median, arguing they would block right turns from Gouger St into Mill St.

Kourakis said the informal crossing currently used by roughly 700 court staff created a “false sense of security,” and compared the risk to legal tests used in negligence cases.

“The level of risk in a car hitting a pedestrian is obvious and is great. It appears to me that the burden is just a few seconds, or at most a few minutes delay,” he said.

City infrastructure director Tom McCready previously told the council the number of people crossing at peak times supports installing a zebra crossing.

The street design is 70 per cent complete, with the final plan expected early next year and construction scheduled for 2025–26.

Source: The Advertiser.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Greek beaches rank second in the world, boasting up to 500 ‘Blue Flag’ beaches

Greece was ranked second out of 47 countries in the annual 'Blue Flag' awards, being awarded blue flags for 497 beaches, 14 marinas and 6 tourist boats.

Oldest wooden tools discovered at Greek Archaeological site

Scientists have recovered what are believed to be the oldest wooden tools ever found, dating back about 430,000 years.

‘Bridging Markets: Greece-Australia Trade Insights’: Registrations open for HACCI event

HACCINF is proud to host its inaugural national online event ‘Bridging Markets: Greece-Australia Trade Insights’.