Bidding showdown is a surprising Greek family affair

·

Members of the Markakis family unwittingly entered a bidding war with each other for a grand terrace in Stanmore when it went under the hammer.

The five-bedroom, multi-level home on Cavendish St eventually sold at auction for $2.37 million on Saturday, $170,000 over the reserve price.

There were six registered bidders but only two took an active part in the auction, firing off more than 40 bids before auctioneer Ricky Briggs dropped the hammer.

It was only after the auction that the winning buyers realised the underbidders, who had been wearing hats and sunglasses while bidding, were family.

Auctioneer Ricky Briggs received more than 40 bids at the auction of a Stanmore house on Cavendish St. Picture: Julian Andrews I realestate.com.au

Buyer Anthony Markakis, whose father bid on his behalf for the latter part of the auction, said they had no idea they were up against their family.

His father was heard apologising to the underbidders after the auction and said he may have bid differently if he had known who we was up against.

Mr Markakis said he and his partner liked the home because of the scope for improvement and had been looking for a renovation project. “I liked the size, the character. There’s lots of potential. Now we have to get thinking, see what’s feasible,” he said.

Stanmore terrace. Picture: Julian Andrews I realestate.com.au

Selling agent Blake Lowry of Belle Property-Annandale said the sellers were elated with the result.

The property attracted a mix of novice renovators and experienced builders. More than 80 groups inspected the property, Mr Lowry said. “It is a large house for the area and big block,” he said, adding it would cost at least $250,000 to renovate.

“There were a mix of budgets. Some might have done it for $500,000, you could probably spend even more,” Mr Lowry said.

The property was one of close to 500 Sydney homes to go under the hammer this week.

Sourced: realestate.com.au

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Andrew Lazarus buys Horsley Park Tavern for $25 million

Hotelier Andrew Lazarus has purchased the Horsley Park Tavern in western Sydney for about $25 million, expanding his portfolio.

Mayor Jim Grivas responds to St Haralambos Greek Festival parking fine backlash

Mayor of Manningham, Jim Grivas, has acknowledged community anger over parking fines issued during the recent St Haralambos Greek Festival.

Alex Hawke dumped from Liberal Party frontbench in Angus Taylor reshuffle

Alex Hawke has been relegated to the backbench after new Opposition Leader Angus Taylor unveiled a revamped shadow cabinet.

Paul Nicolaou calls scaled-back Cutaway trading hours ‘disappointing’

Business Sydney's Paul Nicolaou criticised the NSW government’s decision to wind back plans for 24-hour trading at The Cutaway venue.

Athens University opens Cyprus branch in higher education milestone

The establishment of a Cyprus branch of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens marks “a milestone.”

You May Also Like

Multicultural groups welcome Federal Government’s plan to begin collecting ethnicity data

The Federal Government has announced it will start collecting ethnicity data as part of measuring diversity in Australia.

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet reinstates several COVID-19 restrictions

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet has reintroduced several COVID-19 restrictions today amid a rising number of COVID cases.

Greece’s Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister marks International Greek Language Day

A message from Greece’s Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister, Kostas Vlasis, for World Greek Language Day.