Floods and wildfires: Meet the Greek Australian helping communities recover from natural disasters

·

She doesn’t know when and where she will be deployed next but Head of Government Relations for Disaster Relief Australia (DRA), Anastasia Bougesis, says that assisting communities impacted by natural disasters gives her purpose.

“There’s a lot of houses that are still flooded. And that has been going on for quite some time,” she says about the recovery efforts in Shepparton, Victoria where she was recently deployed as DRA’s operational reconnaissance team leader.

“Community members are resilient but they are becoming frayed and frustrated with not being able to get back into their houses and start the clean-up.”

A South Australian trained nurse and paramedic who has led relief operations in response to Hurricane Irma in the US and Hurricane Maria in the Caribbean, Bougesis says that embarking on operations is rewarding and fulfilling. 

“Even though I technically don’t sit in an operational role, it’s worthwhile that we get that experience and understand what happens on the ground and how it happens, which has taught me quite a bit,” she says.

And Bougesis knows first-hand how much a natural disaster can impact one’s life.

Three years ago, in December 2019, after a wedding ceremony at her family’s Adelaide Hills vineyard she returned from her honeymoon to find much of their property destroyed by bushfire. But this incident only motivated her to assist by embarking in more disaster relief missions.

“My husband is very understanding of my role as our family was affected by the bushfires,” says the Greek-Australian when asked how she decompresses after each mission.

“By the time I get home and my family, I feel just like it’s such a blessing. I do take a bit of downtime. I love to hike. I love going bushwalking. I do that whenever I can,” she says also referring to the importance of peer support.

“I’ve got a great group of friends as well, a lot of us are medics. Together we get together and have dinners and lunches and just that that peer support, I think is something very important.”

With a Dutch heritage from her mother and Greek from her father, Bougesis says her family always pushed her and her siblings to be independent and to do what makes them happy. 

“I think they’re just incredibly proud. Some of the extended family probably looks at me and thinks, what is she doing? But it makes me happy and I think I’m doing something really worthwhile. So, I just keep pushing on,” she says.

And what does the future hold for her?

“I did go and get my chainsaw license. It was interesting. I’m doing things I never thought I’d see myself doing,” she says explaining that she is now pursuing an MBA at Adelaide University.

We ask what influences she has from her father’s side and she talks passionately about the strength and courage of Greek women.

“They are some of the strongest women I know. They are traditional, but because of this they’re just so steadfast. They’re just rock solid. They value family, above everything else. And they’re just always there for you,” she says.

Her message to the young women in the community is solid like her responses during this interview.

“It’s something that I heard in a speech from a woman. She said: ‘if you can see it, you can be it. And if you can’t see it, you are it.’

“In those hard moments that I am not sure I’ll pull out of a situation; I think back to that.”

“I’ve got to keep going for everyone. For everyone else who’s watching.”

*Click here to find out more about volunteering opportunities with Disaster Relief Australia

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Easter on the Holy Mountain: A pilgrimage to Mount Athos

Mount Athos, a place of profound significance, beckons travellers from all corners of the world. It is known as the “Holy Mountain".

The Greeks of Tashkent: Photo exhibition and talk by Costas Politis in Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney will proudly host two very important events for "The Greeks of Tashkent" as part of its program for 2024. The...

Orthodox Easter: A time filled with love and spirituality for residents of Ibis Care

With Orthodox Easter approaching, the Ibis Care community commemorate this significant time in the Orthodox religious calendar.

The Cosmos in Cosmopolitanism: Nikos Papastergiadis launches new book in Melbourne

Before a packed house comprising of leading scholars at the Greek Center in Melbourne, Nikos Papastergiadis launched his most recent book.

Unite for a cause at the 6th Annual Breakfast for Brain Cancer in Sydney

During Brain Cancer Action Month, friends and supporters of the White Pearl Foundation are uniting once again on Friday, May 24.

You May Also Like

SYRIZA politician resigns over sexual abuse allegations

Alex Georgoulis, a member of the European Parliament for SYRIZA has resigned from Greece's opposition party over sexual abuse allegations.

Greeks celebrated at AHEPA NSW Inc’s International Women’s Day event

AHEPA NSW Inc held its annual celebration of International Women’s Day on Sunday, March 5, organised with great success by Chapter Antigone.

Hellenic Village members agree to sell Austral property for $117.5 million

Hellenic Village members have unanimously agreed to sell their 105-acre property at Gurner Avenue in Austral, NSW for $117.5 million.