Apartment owners and stall holders at odds over Preston Market redevelopment plans

·

Part of the Victorian Government’s redevelopment plans for Preston Market in Melbourne’s northern suburbs was a proposal to build 2,200 apartments in blocks up to 20-storeys high.

But last week, Victorian Planning Minister, Richard Wynne, significantly slashed the number of apartments allowed in draft planning rules to a maximum of 1,200.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald (SMH), this has created even more friction between apartment owners and stall holders.

Under the structure plan, high-rise developments could house thousands of people on and around the market site. Photo: Victorian Planning Authority.

The site’s joint owners – Salta Properties and Medich Corporation – said Mr Wynne’s revised draft rules would make rejuvenating the market unviable.

READ MORE: Melbourne locals fear Preston Market could be demolished for new apartments.

On the other hand, stallholder Jim Katsaros, owner of Athina’s Deli, questioned the legitimacy of the owner’s concerns.

Jim Katsaros with his wife Athina Katsaros. Photo Jennifer Pittorino.

“How many billions do you want to make?” Mr Katsaros told the SMH.

“Fourteen-storey apartment blocks are not enough for them? Well, it becomes, at the end of the day, a selfish proposition overall.”

Mr Wynne has referred the draft masterplan to an advisory committee from the Victorian Planning Authority for review and public hearings. The committee will report back in July.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Community language schools in NSW praised for preserving heritage, shaping the future

A group of senior politicians has acknowledged that Australian society has now changed dramatically, and language was a key driver.

Stefanos Tsitsipas makes shock exit from French Open after defeat to teen sensation

Holger Rune upset World No. 4 Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas at the French Open on Monday night 7-5, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Ethnic Communities’ Council of NSW pays tribute to the late Jack Passaris OAM

The Ethnic Communities' Council of New South Wales has issued a statement today following the death of Jack Passaris OAM at the age of 88.