‘Absolutely stunned’: Family react to 20 year sentence for murder of Frankie Prineas

·

The ACT’s Chief Justice sentenced Jayscen Anthony Newby on Wednesday to 20 years jail, with a non-parole period of ten years, for the brutal Tinder date murder of Canberra man, Frankie Prineas.

After the judgment was handed down, the family of Mr Prineas, who were standing outside the ACT Supreme Court, said Newby’s jail term was not long enough and they were in “total dismay.”

Killer ‘laughed’ at news article of murder:

In January last year, Newby, 27, stabbed Prineas 37 times, including in the heart. Chief Justice Helen Murrell described the crime scene as a “bloodbath.”

Mr Prineas was killed at a house in Charnwood in Canberra’s north, while on a Tinder date with a woman Newby had previously dated. It was the first time the two had met.

READ MORE: Man faces court after pleading guilty to murdering Greek Australian Frankie Prineas.

Newby let himself into the home and attacked Mr Prineas when he discovered the pair in bed. The court heard the distressed triple-0 call made by the woman immediately after the attack.

The murder scene.

“I think he’s dying, can someone come… he was attacked with a knife,” the caller said.

“I can’t look,” she said, when being asked to put pressure on the wounds. “His arm is like, open.”

Chief Justice Murrell refused to allow images of the scene to be shown in court, citing concerns about trauma for staff and others present.

During the sentencing on Wednesday, the court also heard that in a conversation with his mother from Canberra’s jail, Newby laughed as she read an ABC story to him about the killing.

When she asked why he was laughing he said: “because it was hilarious.”

Newby’s lawyer, Beth Morrisroe, told the court it could not form the view there was no remorse, and noted he had pleaded guilty, avoiding a trial. But Chief Justice Murrell disagreed.

Jayscen Anthony Newby. Picture: Instagram.

“I can’t see any substantial indication of remorse,” she said, noting Newby’s laughter at the news article “demonstrates the offenders lack of insight and emotional maturity.”

READ MORE: Alleged Charnwood murder victim named as Frankie Victor Prineas.

Family in ‘complete shock’ after sentence:

Outside court, Mr Prineas’s father Victor said today’s sentence had left the family in “complete shock.”

“We knew we weren’t going to get justice; we knew it wasn’t going to be great, but we didn’t expect it to be so bad,” Mr Prineas said.

“In nine years, [Newby] will be out and back into our community and hopefully with a bit of luck he won’t do the same thing he did to my son.”

Mr Prineas said the process had been “harrowing” and “disturbing,” and had left the family feeling as though a longer jail term was warranted.

“It was heartbreaking – the evidence that was shown,” Mr Prineas said. 

Frankie’s father Victor Prineas, aunt Angela and brother Peter said today’s sentence left them in “complete shock”. Photo: ABC News/Mark Moore.

“The triple-0 call was horrifying, the video that he had of the crime scene was horrific – the whole thing was absolutely horrific and this was the outcome: 10 years. We are absolutely stunned.”

Mr Prineas said his son was “a jewel in a crown.”

“He was cheeky, handsome, respectful, loved by all, he was one-in-a-billion, you don’t get children like that,” Mr Prineas said outside court.

When the sentence was read, members of Mr Prineas’ family did a slow clap in the public gallery, with one saying “have a nice life my friend” as Newby was led away.

Newby did not respond. He will be eligible for parole in 2030. 

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Victoria’s Liberal Leader: Greeks have a lot to offer new migrant communities

Victoria's Opposition Leader, John Pesutto, gave a multicultural press conference at Victoria's Parliament House on Tuesday, April 19.

Westpac’s attempts to have Bill Papas charged hit a snag

Westpac’s attempt to hold Bill Papas in contempt of court has been complicated by the fact that his lawyer no longer represents him.

THI Australia announces new grants for public health centres on Skyros and Milos islands

The Hellenic Initiative Australia (THI Australia) has announced a new grant to Pediatric Trauma Care (Pedtrauma) totalling AU$28,500.