Athena Razos jailed ahead of sentencing for stealing $1.5 million from Melbourne law firm

·

A disqualified paralegal who stole nearly $1.6 million from a Melbourne law firm to build a new home has been thrown behind bars ahead of her sentence.

According to The Herald Sun, 59-year-old Athena Razos embezzled more than $1.5 million from a Melbourne legal firm between 2013 and 2017. This money went towards the construction of a new house in Box Hill South on land she had previously bought for about $1 million.

Razos’ offending was uncovered in late 2017 and the Victorian Legal Services Board found she was not a fit and proper person to work in the profession in 2020.

In November 2022, she formally pleaded guilty to 16 counts of obtaining financial advantage and property by deception.

Razos faced the Victorian County Court on Thursday for a pre-sentencing hearing after more than a year of adjournments as she underwent mental health treatment.

Her barrister Gideon Boas said Razos had repaid the law firm more than $1.1 million in 2018, before she was charged with any offences. Razos struck a deal with the firm to repay a further sum of about $330,000 once she has obtained funds from the sale of the Box Hill South house which has been restrained.

Razos was remanded in custody despite her defence team arguing that she was “not a flight risk” due to her “being on bail for years” and having appointments with a psychiatrist lined up.

The case was adjourned for further plea later this month.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

PM rips into ‘hideous’ suggestion elderly deaths preferable to lockdown

PM Scott Morrison has responded to news the Aged Care Regulator knew of the COVID outbreak at St Basils Fawkner four days earlier.

NSW Government announces $9.9 million funding for community languages schools

The NSW Government has announced Community Language Schools will receive a $9.9 million funding boost to support students.

Keys to Bexley Bowling Club officially handed over to AHEPA NSW

The keys to Bexley Bowling Club in southern Sydney have been officially handed over to AHEPA NSW Inc on Friday, October 28.