Archaeological site of Ancient Messene in the Peloponnese to be upgraded

·

The Central Archaeological Council of Greece has given the green light for an upgrade of visitor facilities at Ancient Messene in the Peloponnese.

According to Amna.gr, the ancient site is set to be revamped by the end of 2025, with enhancements aimed at improve accessibility for visitors.

The proposed plans will feature minimalistic interventions to maintain the site’s integrity while improving its functionality, Greek Culture Minister Lina Mendoni said. 

Lina Mendoni
Greece’s Culture Minister Lina Mendoni has advocated for the archaeological site. Photo: Anna.gr.

“Our goal is that interventions, landscaping, and constructions are as mild as possible – that they do not create an optical, aesthetic, or any other problem for the monuments, but promote their functional nature, and support their recognition and overall highlight the archaeological site,” Ms Mendoni said.

Excavations have already commenced, and new changes will also be introduced including revamped ticketing and parking arrangements, and new ramps to access the site. Several trees are also expected to be planted to provide more shade.

These renovations aim to improve the visitor experience and preserve and protect the site.

Source: Amna.gr.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

NZ Defence Minister praises enduring friendship forged on Crete in 1941

NZ Defence Minister Chris Penk has marked the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign.

‘Forever sealed in blood’: The Cretan song honouring the heroes of the Battle of Crete 

The Battle of Crete has been widely written about. It was an important geostrategic WWII battle (May - June 1941), to secure Crete.

South Melbourne FC storm into OFC Pro League final with dominant semi-final win

South Melbourne FC defeated Vanuatu United 4-0 in Auckland to secure a place in the inaugural OFC Pro League final at Eden Park.

You May Also Like

International travellers arriving in Greece to face reduced 3-day quarantine

The decision was reached after there was a strong reaction from Greeks who had already booked their flight to return to Greece during the Christmas period.

Vaughn Arambatzis: Meet the Georges River Council’s Young Citizen of the Year

15-year-old Vaughn (Vaio) Arambatzis from Sydney has been named one of two Young Citizens of the Year for Georges River Council.

Team Greece crush Team France in Plate Of Origin cook-off

Dezi and Penny from Team Greece crushed Team France's Austine and Leo in last night's thrilling episode of Plate of Origin.