Alleged Charnwood murder victim named as Frankie Victor Prineas

·

The family of a man who died after being stabbed in Charnwood on Saturday have issued a statement paying tribute to their son.

Frankie Victor Prineas died in the early hours of Saturday morning. He was 27.

The statement from his father, Victor Prineas, was issued by ACT Policing.

“Frankie was a son that any parent would have been extremely proud of,” Victor Prineas said.

“We have attended the first day in court where we hope, ultimately, Frankie will get the justice he deserves.”

Victor Prineas and his wife thanked their family and friends for their support.

“My wife and I would like to thank our entire family and our beautiful friends who are here for us in this most difficult time,” he said.

“Losing a child is not something any parent should go through and I would not wish this pain on anyone.

“We ask that you respect our privacy at this time as we grieve for Frankie.”

Police have charged 26-year-old Jayscen Anthony Newby with murder over the incident.

Mr Newby fronted court on Monday, where he did not enter a plea and did not apply for bail.

He will remain behind bars until his next court appearance in March.

Police have previously said they responded to reports of a disturbance at the Silver Gums townhouse complex in Charnwood, about 1.30am on Saturday.

They found a 27-year-old man with significant stab wounds at the house. He was taken to hospital, but died a short time later.

Officers said they did an “extensive search” around North Canberra for the 26-year-old man suspected of being involved in the man’s murder.

Mr Newby handed himself into Canberra City Police Station about 4.30pm on Saturday, police said.

Prosecutor Keegan Lee told the court he was seeking a longer than usual period before Mr Newby’s next court appearance. Police had to complete their investigations into the alleged murder, he said.

Sourced via Canberra Times.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

You May Also Like

Sir James Martin statue finds a new home in bustling Parramatta Square

A statue commemorating one of Parramatta’s great lawmakers, has found a new permanent home in the heart of the City of Parramatta. 

‘We’re doing it again’: George Kambosos Jr promises a rematch after loss to Devin Haney

As Devin Haney’s arm is launched in the air, Kambosos applauds before handing over his IBF, WBO and WBA world title belts to the 23-year-old. 

Stonnington Council faces anti-Semitism probe after Hanukkah Menorah deferral

Stonnington Council has been referred to the anti-Semitism royal commission after it deferred a decision to host a Hannukah Menorah.