Adelaide High School students protest against ‘sexist culture’

·

Adelaide High students, among them some of Greek background, walked out of class on Tuesday, to protest sexist behaviour at their school – including claims nude pictures of a girl were being sold for $5 a text, the Advertiser reports.

Up to 100 students outside the West Tce campus aired their disgust over the school’s alleged “toxic sexist culture” and an alleged lack of appropriate leadership response to it.

Call4Action school group member Sophia, 17, said students were upset by what they perceived as the school’s poor response to student allegations of sexual harassment and assault first raised to leadership last month and publicly on social media.

Picture: The Advertiser

The students are demanding an apology to both pupils and caregivers over lack of action and misleading information, a whole-school approach to sexual education and respectful relationships, and accountability of perpetrators.

Change.org student petition calling for an end to sexism and sexual assault at Adelaide High School has attracted more than 6000 signatures.

Adelaide High School principal Cez Green said Tuesday’s events were an opportunity for students to speak about a pressing social issue.

It is understood Ms Green has offered to meet with the students organising the protest – an offer which has not yet been taken up. 

Ms Green last week said in a letter addressed to students that they could contact her directly to discuss any unresolved issues, as well as provide feedback on the school’s delivery of the Keeping Safe: Child Protection Curriculum.

The Adelaide High School walkout follows a national student movement calling for earlier and improved sexual consent through a petition. 

Full Story: The Advertiser

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Magic in Manly: Sydney Olympic qualifies for FFA Cup Round of 32

On a cold, rainy night in Cromer, Sydney Olympic FC secured their spot in the FFA Cup Round of 32, nailing a convincing 2-0 victory against Manly United FC.

Efforts underway to preserve heritage of first Greek Orthodox church in Australia

Restoration works are underway to preserve the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox church (Aghia Triada) in Surry Hills, Sydney.

Kate Kyros named among South Australia’s rising stars in equestrian

Kate Kyros has been named among the up-and-coming equestrian stars in South Australia, according to The Advertiser.