‘Act reasonably’: NSW Premier hits back at planned teachers strike

·

New South Wales public and Catholic school teachers are set to stage a historic joint 24-hour strike on June 30 and rally in Macquarie Street in Sydney.

It comes as the NSW state budget was handed down on Tuesday and public sector employees only received a three per cent pay rise despite the union’s ongoing calls for a five per cent increase and two more hours of planning time each week.

The action was agreed to by the NSW Teachers Federation (NTF) and the Independent Education Union (IEU) on Tuesday in response to escalating anger across the profession over staff shortages, crippling workloads and uncompetitive salaries.

It has been more than two decades since the NTF and the IEU have taken joint action.

“This action speaks to the crisis in which we find ourselves,” NTF President, Angelo Gavrielatos, said. “Both unions have come to the conclusion that the government has its head in the sand in regards to the teacher crisis.”

Just this morning, NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet appeared on ABC’s Radio National, and urged teachers to “act reasonably in difficult economic times.”

“A three per cent wage increase is the highest increase across any state or territory in the country. We’ve led the way on wages and have come up with something that’s fair and reasonable,” Perrottet said, citing Victoria’s 1 per cent wage increase.

“The reality is that most people across our state will not be having pay increases. The wage bills for public service workers are paid for by the taxpayers of NSW who are also doing it tough.”

Photo: NSW Teachers Federation

June 30 will be the third time the state’s public school teachers have voted to strike in just over six months, and the second time NSW and ACT Catholic diocesan schools have voted to take industrial action this year.

NSW Education Minister, Sarah Mitchell, also said it was disappointing the unions had chosen to take industrial action, and it would serve “no purpose” other than to disrupt families and students in the last week of term.

SOURCE: Sydney Morning Herald

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Settlements evacuated as wildfires continue to rage near Athens

As the wildfires near Athens continued to rage for a second day, Greek fire authorities ordered the evacuation of several settlements.

Music from the Heart: Dimitris Basis unites with Newtown Performing Arts High School

Greek singer Dimitris Basis is set to perform on Tuesday, June 4 with students from the Newtown High School of the Performing Arts.

Olympiacos FC advance to Europa Conference League semi-finals for first time

Olympiacos FC outlasted Fenerbahçe in Istanbul to qualify for the first time in the semi-finals of the Europa Conference League tournament.