Acquitted Irishmen leave Australia after being accused of murdering Paul Tavelardis

·

Two Irishmen were found not-guilty on Monday of the murder of Paul Tavelardis, who died nearly two years ago in Sydney’s inner West. The duo have now flown back to Ireland.

Nathan Kelly and Christopher McLaughlin, tradies hailing from Donegal, were accused of murdering Paul Tavelardis on the night of December 29, 2018.

The pair had been living together in a flat in Summer Hill had been drinking for 12 hours when an altercation with Mr Tavelardis was sparked just after midnight in the middle of Grosvenor Cres.

Mr Tavelardis, 66, was left barely conscious, beaten and bleeding on the road with severe head injuries and later died at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital on January 7, 2019.

Paul Tavelardis, who died after he was bashed. Picture: Facebook

Several witnesses watched on and told police the two men repeatedly kicked and hit the man, who had been living in his car across the street from the Florida Court apartments.

However, Mr Kelly and Mr McLaughlin both pleaded not guilty to murder and argued at trial they were far too intoxicated to have formed the necessary intention to kill the total stranger. Following a month-long trial, a jury acquitted both men.

The not-guilty judgement has infuriated Mr Tavelardis’s son Bradley Tavelardis.

“The DPP were confident that a murder charge was more suitable, which is why the trial began, but to have all charges dropped is inconceivable,” Mr Tavelardis told The Daily Telegraph.

Paramedics treat Mr Tavelardis at the scene. Credit: News Corp Australia, Gordon McComiskie

“I have been living in a fog of utter disbelief and bewilderment since the ‘not guilty’ verdict on Monday.

“The bare fact remains that my father, a 66-year-old man who suffered from leukaemia, was beaten by two physically fit men in their early 20s and subsequently died from the ­related injuries.

“Visiting my dad in the hospital for the last time when he was in a coma, seeing the extent of his injuries and with my siblings, making the necessary decision to turn off his life support was the most harrowing moment of my life.”

Sourced By: Perth Now

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

A postcard brought to life: Billy Cotsis explores the soul of Patmos

There is something about the freedom of being out on the Aegean. One can visit small islands, more populated islands, deserted beaches or simply go fishing.

From tragedy to triumph: Christina Vithoulkas becomes Australia’s first female para drifter

Vithoulkas never lost her love for extreme sports. Now 30, she has found the same thrill in drifting—a motorsport where cars slide sideways.

Program of the 11th International Summer University in Boston announced

The 11th International Summer University "Greek Language, Culture and Media" will take place from May 24-29 in Boston.

Hellenic Writer’s Association of Australia hold student literary competition

The Hellenic Writers’ Association of Australia has announced its annual Student Literary Competition, titled “From Greece to the World”.

Athens university develops first tool to measure TikTok addiction

A research team from the University of Athens has created the world’s first tool specifically designed to assess addiction to TikTok.

You May Also Like

Victims of Greek genocide honoured at Genocide Monument in Victoria

At the Genocide Monument located in the Ray Brahman Gardens, Victoria, the Victims Of The Greek Genocide In The Pontos Region were honoured.

Melbourne’s Manasis dancers bring the spirit of Greek carnival to Oakleigh

Manasis Dance Group in Melbourne held a vibrant Apokries celebration at Vanila Café in Oakleigh, showcasing the spirit of the Greek Carnival.

Sydney cafe owner John Christopoulos offers cheap coffee amid cost of living crisis

Sydney cafe owner John Christopoulos is facing the cost of living crisis head on by offering his customers a cup of coffee for just $2.47.