Accused Easey St killer Perry Kouroumblis spends first night in prison

·

Perry Kouroumblis, 65, has spent his first night in an Australian prison after being formally charged with the 1977 murders of Suzanne Armstrong, 28, and Susan Bartlett, 27, in Melbourne’s Collingwood.

Kouroumblis faces two counts of murder and one count of rape over the brutal killings, which left the victims with over two dozen stab wounds. Armstrong’s 16-month-old son was found unharmed in his cot.

The murders, which occurred between January 10 and 13, 1977, had remained unsolved for nearly five decades. Kouroumblis, who was 17 at the time, is accused of raping Armstrong during the same period.

He was extradited from Italy on Tuesday, December 3, after being arrested in Rome in September.

A sketch of Perry Kouroumblis in court. Photo: Anita Lester / AAP.

At Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, December 4, Kouroumblis appeared bleary-eyed following hours of police interviews. He was remanded in custody and will return to court for a committal hearing in February. Kouroumblis maintains his innocence.

Outside court, the victims’ family members expressed mixed emotions. Suzanne Armstrong’s sister, Gayle, shared her relief, saying she was “ecstatic” that the accused had been charged. She also noted she gave Kouroumblis “a dirty look” in court.

Martin Bartlett, Susan’s brother, said the families hoped for closure after nearly 50 years.

Kouroumblis, a dual Australian-Greek national, had lived in Greece until 2016. A 20-year statute of limitations had prevented his arrest until his travel to Italy allowed for extradition.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton called the murders “gruesome” and one of the state’s most serious and prolonged cold cases.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Saint Dimitrios Parish in Moonee Ponds marks 50 years with joyful festival

The annual Saint Demetrios Parish Festival in Moonee Ponds brought together parishioners, dignitaries, and performers on Sunday, October 26.

Adelaide and Athens step closer to Sister City status with new MOU proposal

Adelaide City Council has voted unanimously to recommend signing an MOU with Athens for a Sister City relationship.

NSW Government pledges increased support to domestic violence victims during COVID-19 crisis

Mr Speakman said survivors should remain confident that support services and the NSW Police Force are prepared and ready to respond if they need help.