Fatality confirmed as bushfires continue to burn across Victoria

·

The Victorian bushfire emergency has taken a fatal turn, with one person confirmed dead as more than 20 fires continue to burn across the state, two of them at emergency warning level.

Victoria Police said the body was found on Sunday night in an area affected by the Longwood fire near Gobur in central Victoria, about 100 metres from a vehicle.

The person has not yet been formally identified and a report will be prepared for the coroner.

Premier Jacinta Allan said her thoughts were with the person’s family and loved ones.

“This loss will be felt far beyond Gobur, and it marks the first known fire-related fatality during what has already been an incredibly challenging period for our state,” she said.

Photo: Michael Currie / AAP.

Total fire bans are in place for Victoria’s north-east and north-central districts, with poor air quality forecast from Monday.

The fire near Walwa on the NSW border remains at emergency warning level, while residents in Irrewillipe in the state’s south-west have been told to take shelter as a fire in the Otways burns towards Bungador.

By Sunday evening, about 390,000 hectares had been burnt. Chief Fire Officer Chris Hardman said the death “really takes the wind out of [his crew’s] sails”.

“We always have the primacy of life at the forefront and the centre of our thinking — It’s what drives and motivates us,” he said.

Photo: James Ross / AAP.

While lower winds on Sunday aided firefighting efforts, Hardman said the Otways fire front remained “really concerning” and warned conditions could worsen later this month.

At least 300 structures have been impacted, with damage assessments continuing.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Premier Allan on Sunday announced a $19.5 million support package for affected communities, including funding for fodder distribution, emergency accommodation and mental health support.

Source: ABC.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Tass Mourdoukoutas on Sydney Olympic and Arthur Diles: ‘I owe a lot to him’

"I played with some really talented players at the time, including club legend Paul Henderson, who was a great role model for professionalism and attitude," Tass said.

Turkey denies fighter jets harassed Greek helicopter with Defense Minister onboard

Turkey has rejected claims by Greece that two of its fighter jets harassed a helicopter carrying Greek Defense Minister, Nikolaos Panagiotopoulos.

‘Not an old war veteran’s place’: Manny Karvelas on the importance of RSL clubs

Ahead of Remembrance Day, President of Melbourne’s Hellenic RS Manny Karvelas, urges community members to support their local RSL clubs.