Looking to make a tasty, warm winter meal? Look no further than a nice okra dish with tomato sauce & chicken drumsticks.
Okra may not sound or look appetising, but it has incredible benefits. Okra is high in vitamins and minerals such as potassium, vitamin B, vitamin C, folic acid, and calcium.
Paired with the protein of chicken drumsticks, this dish is the perfect winter meal to keep your body strong.
1 kilo frozen okra
6 chicken drumsticks
1 chopped shallot
1 bunch of fresh onion
6 chopped fresh tomatoes
250 grams olive oil
A small bunch parsley
Salt & pepper
A sprinkle of sugar
1. Put the frozen okra into a tin and add some vinegar. Put in the oven at 150 degrees for an hour so they dry (the reason we put a bit of vinegar on top is to get rid of the slime and dry them).
2. Prepare the drumsticks. Add salt and pepper and put it in the oven with the okra for an hour.
3. In the meantime, in a pan add the olive oil, carrots, chopped onion, fresh tomato, salt, parsley and a sprinkle of sugar to finish. Cook for a few minutes. Note: The sugar in the fresh tomato brings out the flavour and minimises the acidity.
4. Half-time in the oven, give the okra a stir and put back in the oven for the remaining 30’. Same with the chicken.
5. Next in the process is to bring everything together. Take the okra and the drumsticks out of the oven. Add some salt to the okra. Pour the tomato sauce on top of the okra and distribute evenly.
6. Put the drumsticks on top of the okra and pour the stock of the chicken into the okra for more taste.
7. Shake it a bit and then back into the oven for an hour.
Source: My Greek Odyssey