So go ahead, read on to discover all their tips and tricks!
Server Roughly 6-8
500g beef mince
500g lamb mince
No.2 pasta pastitsio
½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 large diced white onion,
1 bunch chopped parsley
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp dried oregano,
½ cup virgin olive oil, 1 tspn nutmeg,
½ tbsp paprika,
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup puree tomato
Salt and pepper
For Bechamel Sauce:
1 litre milk
½ cup plain flour
150 g butter
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180° Celsius.
2. Boil pasta in salted boiling water till al dente, drain and set aside.
Prepare your meat sauce.
3. In a saucepan sauté the onion and garlic until soft and transparent.
4. Add tomato paste, mince and break up with a spoon so the meat is not lumpy. Cook until meat is browned.
5. Add the parsley, paprika, nutmeg, tomato puree and paste. Season well with salt and pepper. Simmer on low for approximately 30 mins.
6. Cook stirring occasionally. If the mixture is dry add water. Take off from the heat and let cool.
Prepare your Béchamel sauce.
7. To assemble, grease a non-stick baking dish lightly with olive oil.
8. Spread the cooked pasta on the bottom of the dish and sprinkle on ½ cup parmesan cheese. Spread all the meat over the pasta.
9. Cover with béchamel sauce and sprinkle extra cheese on top of the béchamel.
10. Bake in pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes until the top is golden.
11. Take it out of the oven, let is stand for 10 minutes, cut into squares and serve with a Greek salad and chilled retsina or ouzo.
1. These measurements are based on the size of your tray.
2. In a sauce pan melt the butter, add the flour and whisk on medium heat until you have a rue.
3. Gradually add the milk, whisking vigorously the whole time so you don’t get any lumps.
4. Remove from the heat, while continuing to mix add in the eggs one at a time and cheese.
5. Season well with salt and pepper. The sauce should be thick and smooth
*Follow Yiayia Rose’s and Christina’s culinary adventures on Instagram: Homemade By Rose