Christina’s potato salad (patatosalata) is a zingy, tasty no-mayo salad bursting with Mediterranean flavours including olive oil, lemon and herbs. Perfect for cookouts, potlucks, a summer side dish or picnics.
1/2 onion, diced finely
3 garlic cloves, diced finely
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 2 lemons
Splash of vinegar eg. Red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Plenty of Fresh herbs, chopped. Parsley, mint, dill and chives work well.
- Soak chopped onions in bowl of lightly salted water for 10 minutes then drain. Combine with garlic, oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Peel and Dice potatos evenly into 3 cm cubes. Place in large pot of salted boiling water. Boil on medium heat 12-15 minutes. Keep an eye on potatos after 10 minute mark, they over-cook easily. Use fork to test a piece. It’s ready when it crumbles with slight resistance when halved with a fork. Do not over boil.
- Top up pot with cold water then immediately drain potatos in colander. Allow to rest 5 minutes.
- Place potatos in a large bowl. Add oil mixture and gently combine, being careful to not mash up the potatos.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour to allow potatos to fuse with the wet mixture.
- Remove then add fresh herbs, combine gently. Add salt only if required. Serve at room temperature.