Remembering Greek WWII resistance hero, Manolis Glezos

·

Manolis Glezos was a Greek World War II resistance hero who has been described by Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, as a “lion-hearted man with a kind look”.

Following the war, Manolis remained an active political figure in Greece. Read on as we take a look at his life.

Early Life and WWII resistance:

Manolis Glezos was born in Apeiranthos of Naxos on September 9, 1922. He achieved worldwide notoriety and honour for being a resistance fighter in Greece during their occupation by Germany in WWII.

At age 18, Glezos and fellow university student, Lakis Santas, climbed up the Acropolis in Athens at night and cut down the Nazi flag. It had been raised one month earlier when the country fell under German occupation in the spring of 1941.

“It was a large flag and when it fell it covered us. We got it off us, hugged and danced a little, right on the spot,” Glezos told a program for state television decades later.

On March 24, 1942, he was arrested along with Santas by German troops and imprisoned for a month in Averoff Prison, where he was tortured inhumanely, resulting in severe tuberculosis. After being released, he proceeded to be arrested three more times by German and Italian troops for various minor offences, taking part in Greece’s liberation group.

Later Life:

Following the conclusion of WWII, he worked as a journalist for the official Greek Communist Party newspaper and the left-wing daily Avgi, and remained active in politics throughout his life.

He re-entered national politics in 2012 as a member of Parliament with the left-wing Syriza party led by former Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, before being elected to the European Parliament in 2014.

He retired the following year, but continued to lend his public support to protest initiatives, mostly against harsh economic austerity linked to the financial crisis and international bailout.

Death and Legacy:

Glezos passed away at the age of 97.

Glezos tragically died on the 31st of March, 2020, at the age of 97 in Athens. Thousands of tributes flooded social media as the resistance hero’s actions were remembered and honoured by the Greek public.

READ MORE: Greece bids farewell to WWII resistance icon, Manolis Glezos, in silent funeral

“Greeks are poorer today following the death of Manolis Glezos, but he leaves the country richer for the life that he led and the example he gave: a genuine patriot and true fighter,” Mitsotakis said following his death.

READ MORE: Former Greek WWII resistance hero Manolis Glezos dies aged 97

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

A postcard brought to life: Billy Cotsis explores the soul of Patmos

There is something about the freedom of being out on the Aegean. One can visit small islands, more populated islands, deserted beaches or simply go fishing.

From tragedy to triumph: Christina Vithoulkas becomes Australia’s first female para drifter

Vithoulkas never lost her love for extreme sports. Now 30, she has found the same thrill in drifting—a motorsport where cars slide sideways.

Program of the 11th International Summer University in Boston announced

The 11th International Summer University "Greek Language, Culture and Media" will take place from May 24-29 in Boston.

Hellenic Writer’s Association of Australia hold student literary competition

The Hellenic Writers’ Association of Australia has announced its annual Student Literary Competition, titled “From Greece to the World”.

Athens university develops first tool to measure TikTok addiction

A research team from the University of Athens has created the world’s first tool specifically designed to assess addiction to TikTok.

You May Also Like

Stefanos Tsitsipas dumps dad as tennis coach

Stefanos Tsitsipas has officially announced the termination of his coaching arrangement with his father after a tense match on Thursday.

Meta pulls out of crucial news content deals

Meta, the owner of Facebook, is abandoning its deals with Australian publishers that see the tech giant pay for the news content it uses.

Ministers Eleni Petinos and Mark Coure urge seniors to be vigilant against scams

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) received 16,915 reports from seniors that had been scammed in 2021.