New documentary on the Battle of Crete airs tonight on Foxtel’s History Channel

·

The first episode of a new documentary titled ‘WWII: Battle of Crete’ will air on Foxtel’s History Channel tonight at 7.30pm, just in time for the commemoration of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign on May 20.

The three-part series, produced by Pilot Productions, tells the story of the famous WWII battle and details the four year German occupation of Crete that followed.

“As the huge wave of German aircraft approached, the island of Crete was defended by a poorly equipped Allied force. Such a huge airborne invasion had never been attempted before or since in war. This is the story of that unique battle and it’s aftermath,” a statement about the documentary reads.

One of the few surviving Anzacs of Greece, 103-year-old Alf Carpenter, appears in the documentary, as well as the Chief Historian of the NSW Anzac Memorial, Mr Brad Manera.

“It seemed like a slaughter to me,” says Carpenter in a trailer for the documentary.

Trailer for new documentary ‘WWI: Battle of Crete.’

The Joint Committee for the Commemoration of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign in Australia assisted with the documentary by connecting the director, Ian Cross, with numerous Anzacs, institutions and historians around the world.

“We thank Ian and his team for creating a great opportunity to learn, commemorate and pay our respects to the legacy of the Anzacs of Greece,” Nick Andriotakis, Secretary of the Joint Committee for the Commemoration of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign, told The Greek Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Mystery of the 300 million euro home listed for sale near the Acropolis

A single-family home on Dionysiou Aeropagitou street, directly across from the Acropolis had been listed setting a new record.

Sydney Olympic FC launches the 2024 NPL season

Sydney Olympic FC set the stage for an exciting 2024 National Premier Leagues season with a entertaining launch event.

The Block auctioneer Tom Panos could leave TV show amid ‘hidden’ costs

Appearing on Channel 9's The Block is not just a commitment of time and effort – it comes at a significant financial cost.