St Basil’s NSW send message of support to members of Melbourne nursing home after cases surge

·

St Basils NSW/ACT have sent a message of love and support to their partners in Victoria as St Basil’s Fawkner is struck with a COVID-19 outbreak.

So far there have been 51 cases of COVID-19 recorded at St Basil’s Homes for the Aged in Fawkner, in Melbourne’s north, up from 13 the previous day.

A spokesperson for the Aged Care and Senior Australians minister, Senator Richard Colbeck, confirmed that the federal health department was assisting the centre’s management.

“The management of St Basil’s Home for the Aged remains in control of the facility with the support of the Commonwealth Health Department,” he said.

St Basil’s Home for the Aged in Fawkner. Photo: Google Maps

“Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission, local public health and DHHS representatives are all on site.

“A full assessment is currently being undertaken to determine the appropriate clinical response in the interests of all residents.”

While the federal government have provided support to those in danger in Victoria, residents and staff members of St Basils NSW/ACT have sent a message of encouragement for the residents in Melbourne.

We are following the developments of the Coronavirus infections at St Basil’s Faulkner in Victoria with sadness. The…

Posted by St Basils NSW & ACT on Tuesday, 21 July 2020

“While St Basil’s Victoria is separate to our St Basils NSW/ACT organisation, our hearts go out to all involved during these challenging times,” the statement says.

St Basils NSW/ACT added that they have been restricting access to visitors since 16 July due to the growing numbers of infection in the Sydney areas close to our facilities.

“At this point, St Basil’s NSW/ACT remains very alert to, but not directly impacted by, COVID-19 infections.

“We thank our residents and families for working with us to implement our COVID-19 outbreak prevention plans and ask that we all continue to take every action we can to prevent the virus from its spread in Sydney.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Themistocles Kritikakos’ new book explores genocide memory in Australia

For Themistocles Kritikakos, the study of genocide began long before academia - in family stories, silences, and fragments of the past.

Melbourne to host 2026 Certificate of Attainment in Greek exams as registrations open

Registrations are now open for the 2026 Certificate of Attainment in Greek, with exams taking place this May at the GCM.

AHEPA NSW ORIONAS Hunters and Fishermen’s Club adopts constitutional changes 

On 18 January, the General Assembly of the AHEPA NSW ORIONAS Hunters and Fishermen’s Club was held, attended by approximately 50 members.

AHEPA Sydney & NSW’s high tea fundraiser to spotlight latest advances in cancer research

AHEPA Sydney & NSW Inc – Philanthropy will host a special High Tea Fundraiser next month, bringing together community members.

Alania’s ‘Night of Love’ launches 2026 in spectacular style

Sydney’s Greek community celebrated Valentine’s Day in memorable fashion at the Greek Community Club in Lakemba.

You May Also Like

Daniel Hasapis charged with murder, kidnapping in coastal NSW

Daniel Hasapis charged with murder, kidnapping in company with intent to commit a serious indictable offence occasioning actual bodily harm.

Renovations continue on Melbourne’s oldest Greek Orthodox church

Holy Church of ‘The Annunciation of Our Lady’ will be temporarily closed this spring due to installation of a new marble floor and furniture.

102-year-old ANZAC Leslie Cook receives letter of gratitude from Greece’s Prime Minister

ANZAC veteran Leslie Cook, one of the surviving soldiers of the Battle of Crete, has received a letter of gratitude from Greek PM Mitsotakis.