NSW Premier replies to 7-year-old boy’s letter who couldn’t celebrate birthday in lockdown

·

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has responded to a 7-year-old boy’s letter expressing his feelings about the fact that he was not able to celebrate his birthday due to the lockdown.

A few days before his birthday, George Vrahas wrote to the Premier to let her know “he was really upset that he can’t go to school, can’t go out and can’t celebrate with his family and friends.”

“Mum, we need to sit down and have a serious discussion. I need you to write a letter to auntie Gladys to tell her how I feel,” George told his mother, Christine.

“He was overwhelmed and concerned with the lockdown and wanted to write the letter because he knows the Premier would read it and reply to him,” Christine said.

George Vrahas and his 4-year-old sister Elizabeth holding the letter from the Premier. Photo: Supplied

Last year, during the first lockdown with another letter to the Premier, George inquired whether the Easter Bunny would be able to visit and he received a reply along with a bag of Easter eggs.

In her recent correspondence with the young Greek Australian, the Premier says that “while it’s disappointing that we are not able to celebrate special occasions with family and friends, it’s important that we follow the health advice to keep us all safe during this time.”

Closing with a handwritten P.S. note, Berejiklian signs as ‘Auntie Gladys’.

“He’s happy he got an acknowledgement from someone we see on the news,” said Christine stressing that this lockdown has been difficult and draining especially for parents with multiple children who work and homeschool.

“The children are also suffering and I’m glad George took the initiative to speak to me about it and to have a voice that is being heard. We always worry about our mental health but we often forget about the kids,” Christine said.

Asking George if he has a message to share with other kids who also have to hold off their birthday celebrations until the lockdown ends, he says “it will be okay.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

How Mytilene captured the heart of Australian designer Claire Lloyd

Claire Lloyd’s affinity with Greece started 17 years ago when she first visited the small island of Mytilene, instantly falling in love.

Grants now open for the NSW Seniors Festival

Local organisations and community groups can now apply for grant funding to host events as part of the 65th annual NSW Seniors Festival.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.