The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia has today announced the creation of a ‘COVID-19 Community Relief’ program aimed at giving assistance to people struggling to acquire basic living essentials during the coronavirus pandemic.
The program has been launched in collaboration with the Archdiocesan District of Northcote, Melbourne, and will be directed and overseen by the Very Reverend Archimandrite Evmenios Vasilopoulos, Archiepiscopal Vicar of Northcote.
“We created this program in response to the dramatic effects the coronavirus is having on all people, specifically upon those who have lost their jobs and their salaries, as well as our resident international students,” a statement from the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia reads.
“Now we invite all people within our community, as well as all businesses that have the ability to assist in this unifying initiative, to contribute by donating food, clothing, personal hygiene and sanitary products.”
His Eminence Archbishop Makarios went on to thank parishioners in advance for their efforts, their support and prayers “towards the common initiative of love towards our fellow human beings.”
How to donate:
If you live in Melbourne, the following Parishes will function as centres for the collection and distribution of those basic essentials:
- Archiepiscopal Church of the District of Northcote (7 Hartington Street, Northcote, Victoria 3070.)
- Parish of St Paraskevi (22 Marsden Crescent, St Albans, Victoria 3021).
- Parish of the Presentation of Our Lord (23-29 Victoria Street, Coburg, Victoria 3058).
- Parish of the Transfiguration of Our Lord (45 Poplar Street, Thomastown, Victoria 3074).
If you live in other states and territories, the statement said financial contributions can also be made by directly depositing into the following bank account:
- Account Name: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, Consolidated Trust – Northcote District.
- BSB: 082 135
- Account Number: 42128 9455.