The Cretan Federation of Australia & New Zealand has announced the National Tour of two experienced and respected dance teachers from Crete and in particular Chania, namely Sifis Viglakis and Eleftheria Manioudakis.
Sifis Viglakis and Eleftheria Manioudakis who are both members of the Traditional Viglatores Group have been invited by the Cretan Federation of Australia & New Zealand to host Cretan Dance workshops for the Greek Youth of Australia.
Following on from the COVID-19 lockdowns during 2020 and 2021, the Federation felt it was imperative to find a way to assist its constituent member organisations in revitalising the interest of the younger generation to come back to Cretan dancing. Sifis Viglakis and Eleftheria Manioudakis’ presence will assist in this area.
The recent hosting of the 41st National Convention saw the performance of seven dance groups and over 140 dancers from all over Australia.
The National President, Tony Tsourdalakis, and the Executive of the Cretan Federation of Australia & New Zealand thanked the Governor of the Region of Crete, Stavros Arnaoutakis, and his Board for making this tour financially possible.
This initiative is one of the many programs that were announced and have begun implementation during 2022 between the Cretan Federation of Australia & New Zealand and the Region of Crete and will continue until 2024.
The tour program
- Wellington, New Zealand from Thursday 9th February to Sunday 12th February.
- Sydney, New South Wales from Monday 13th February to Friday 17th February.
- Brisbane, Queensland from Saturday 18th February to Tuesday 21st February.
- Melbourne, Victoria from Wednesday 22nd February to Monday 27th February.
- Hobart, Tasmania from Tuesday 28th February to Friday 3rd March.
- Canberra, Australian Capital Territory from Saturday 4th March to Monday 6th March.
- Darwin, Northern Territory from Tuesday 7th March to Saturday 11th March.
Hellenic youth across Australia are invited to reach out to respective associations and communities and register their participation. It is not a prerequisite to be of Cretan background in order to participate.
Special seminars will be conducted for dance teachers that wish to teach others either at school or in a private setting.
Those who are interested for futher details can email firstname.lastname@example.org or directly the President at email@example.com