Celeste Barber’s $51 million bushfire money can’t be distributed to other charities

·

Millions of dollars raised by Celeste Barber’s bushfire campaign cannot be distributed to other charities or states but can be given to injured firefighters, a judge has ruled.

The comedian nominated the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) and Brigades Donation Fund for the $51.3 million raised through her record-breaking Facebook fundraiser in January.

But the deed governing that trust only allows money to be spent on purchasing and maintaining equipment, training and administrative costs.

“Some donors may have intended or hoped that the money they donated would be used for purposes beyond those which the court has advised are permissible,” NSW Supreme Court Justice Michael Slattery said.

“Despite the trustees’ wish to honour those intentions or hopes the law provides principles that ensure a degree of certainty in the application of trust funds including charitable trust funds.”

Justice Slattery ruled the money could be given to the families of fallen firefighters and used for trauma counselling.

However, the court’s decision excluded causes which many donors expected their money to go towards, including the Australian Red Cross and animal welfare group WIRES.

Barber launched the record-breaking appeal on Facebook in January after members of her family were affected by bushfires at Eden, on the NSW south coast.

Her initial goal was to raise $30,000.

Her Facebook fundraising page clearly stated the money was intended for the Trustee for the RFS and Brigades Donation Fund.

Earlier this year the RFS said it wanted to share the money.

“We take the issue of public donations very seriously — and know everyone wants to see the funds distributed quickly and to the right places,” a spokesperson said.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece backs plan for migrant deportation hubs beyond EU borders

Greece is collaborating with Germany, the Netherlands, Austria and Denmark to establish deportation centres in third countries.

Greek constitutional law giant Antonis Manitakis dies aged 82

Prominent constitutional law professor and former minister Antonis Manitakis has passed away at the age of 82.

Greece tables bill for overseas postal voting

A draft law allowing Greeks living abroad to vote in parliamentary elections by post has been tabled by Interior Minister Thodoris Livanios.

Stefanos Tsitsipas storms into Doha quarterfinals with statement win

Stefanos Tsitsipas produced one of his strongest performances in months to defeat longtime rival Daniil Medvedev 6-3, 6-4.

Lina Mendoni declares WWII execution photos monument of Greek history

Greece’s culture ministry has designated 12 World War II photographs posted for sale on eBay as a monument of modern Greek history.

You May Also Like

Aussie Tennis Youngster Thanasi Kokkinakis ready for the 2020 season

“I feel good. This is the healthiest I’ve been in a while,” the 23-year-old told tennis.com.au during a break from his pre-season training.

Sydney Fish Market aims to double its revenue with the launch of new online platform

The trading time for seafood sales has just been taken to new depths with the introduction of new online platform, SFMBlue.

Australian PM, Greek Culture Minister join Greek Orthodox community in celebrating Easter

Australian Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, and Greece's Minister of Culture, Lina Mendoni, visit Kogarah's Greek Orthodox church on Saturday.