Pana Barbounis shares how Greek background influenced his vegan brand

·

Greek Australian entrepreneur, Pana Barbounis, has spoken to The Australian about his booming business in the vegan chocolate space.

The Pana Organic founder is the son of Greek migrants. His father came to Australia at 17 years old with his brother and met his mother, who was Greek with a Polish background. They settled and grew up in Footscray in west Melbourne.

He told The Australian that while he now loves and respects his Greek heritage, it wasn’t always that way.

“I was sort of anti my heritage for a bit when I was 18 or 19 because I wasn’t given much of a choice on a few things. It wasn’t until a few years later that I came back to it,” he said.

“I now believe I’ve got best of both worlds. I was born here, I live in the best country in the world. But I’ve also got a great, rich heritage. I’ve done my best to try and take my kids back to Greece to experience my culture.”

Barbounis explained that as a child of Greek migrant parents who did not have much money, he always believed that if he was self-employed, he would be more prosperous. So, at 21-years-old, he decided to team up with a fellow manager at Sizzler, where he worked at the time, and start his own company.

Pana products are stocked in Coles and Woolworths and are looking to expand into markets in New Zealand, the UK and Japan. Image via Pana Organics.

In his early 30s, after watching the film Chocolat, Barbounis became interested in raw chocolate and decided to train with traditional chocolatiers in the United Kingdom and Belgium before returning to Melbourne and taking “Pana Chocolate” to market in 2012.

Pana Organic, as it is known today, is now a leader in vegan, dairy-free and plant-based chocolate in Australia, with forecasted revenue growth of up to 50 percent over the next three years.

Barbounis said that growing up with migrant parents possibly contributed to a mindset of selling himself short in the business space, as he “never thought big.” This mindset has changed over the past two decades.

“The first move I made I think I had outgrown the space within three months. I am now onto my fourth kitchen. So I wished now that I had backed myself, believing a bit more from the beginning. That would probably be my biggest lesson in life. Never underestimate what you can do,” he said.

Source: The Australian.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Izzy the Jerusalem Donkey’: Helen Lakatos releases new kids book for Orthodox Easter

Helen Lakatos is a first generation Australian-born Cypriot, proud mum of two grown boys, and a loving yiayia of three grandchildren.

Kastellorizo and its gold: Nick Bogiatzis to give lecture in Melbourne

The Greek Community of Melbourne will present a lecture entitled "Kastellorizo and its Gold" at the Greek Centre, on Thursday

Greek olive oil excels with koroneiki and flavoured oils

The 2023 EVOO World Ranking (WR) listed 12 Greek extra virgin olive oils (EVOOs) among the world’s top 100

Most untouched beaches found in Mani, Karpathos and Syros

Eastern Mani in southern Greece and the islands of Karpathos and Syros have been identified as the regions having the most friendly beaches.

Last days to enjoy Herk Alexander’s Greek art exhibition in Sydney

On Saturday, April 20, Herk Alexander officially launched his art exhibition as part of the Greek Festival of Sydney.

You May Also Like

‘An exhibition about real people’: Dr Peter Higgs on why the Ancient Greeks still thrill

Dr Peter Higgs sat down with TGH and discussed the Ancient Greeks exhibition, competition in the modern world and his favourite exhibits.

Profile: Fiona Barboutis Martin

Dr Fiona Barbouttis Martin MP, a Sydney Greek Australian of Castellorizian heritage, is an Australian Liberal Party politician who was elected as Member of...

Nick Bonovas: The self-taught Sydney artist with a passion for Greek art

Self-taught artist Nick Bonovas sees his creative work as being infused by a passion for Greek art and Ancient Greece.