Nick Politis and Peter V’landys named among Sydney’s top 100 most powerful people

·

The Daily Telegraph has revealed it’s ‘Power 100’ rankings for 2022 and among the list are two Australians of Greek heritage – Nick Politis and Peter V’landys.

They have joined a number of other powerful people in Sydney, including NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet at number one position and Prime Minister Scott Morrison at number two.

4. Peter V’landys:

Peter V’landys has two of the biggest jobs in sport as the CEO of Racing NSW and Chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission.

The child of Greek migrants, V’landys actually has a background in business and commerce, but was drawn to rugby league because he never forgot how he felt as a young boy playing for Wests Illawarra.

“My parents, being migrants, they didn’t think rugby league was a career. So I went to uni and got into business, took a different path,” V’landys told the Illawarra Mercury in 2020.

READ MORE: Childhood lessons set the tone for Peter V’landys’ career trajectory.

“But I never forgot what rugby league did for me. When the opportunity to pay it back came, I took it up. That’s why I’m doing what I’m doing. It’s purely to repay the game.”

Now, V’landys has become one of the most powerful men in Australian sport.

In recent years, his profile has also been pushed further into the public spotlight as he fought to keep rugby league viable during the COVID-19 pandemic.

READ MORE: Opinion: How the coronavirus outbreak will change the future of global sport.

22. Nick Politis:

Nick Politis is a migrant from the Greek island of Kythera who has helped save rugby league in Australia and turned a single car dealership into a $2 billion fortune.

Politis was born to George and Argyro Politis on Kythera in 1941, only months after the Germans took over the island during WWII.

READ MORE: How Nick Politis went from Kythera to becoming one of Australia’s billionaires.

At the end of the war, Politis and his family arrived in Australia when he was eight. From an early age, a strong work ethic was instilled in him.

Now, Politis is one of Australia’s least-known billionaires.

He’s 80, of modest height and does yoga four times a week. He also happens to be one of the most powerful men in rugby league as the Chairman of the Sydney Roosters, and is the most influential person in the Australian car industry.

READ MORE: Greeks billionaires feature among Australia’s 250 richest people.

Source: The Daily Telegraph.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Izzy the Jerusalem Donkey’: Helen Lakatos releases new kids book for Orthodox Easter

Helen Lakatos is a first generation Australian-born Cypriot, proud mum of two grown boys, and a loving yiayia of three grandchildren.

Kastellorizo and its gold: Nick Bogiatzis to give lecture in Melbourne

The Greek Community of Melbourne will present a lecture entitled "Kastellorizo and its Gold" at the Greek Centre, on Thursday

Greek olive oil excels with koroneiki and flavoured oils

The 2023 EVOO World Ranking (WR) listed 12 Greek extra virgin olive oils (EVOOs) among the world’s top 100

Most untouched beaches found in Mani, Karpathos and Syros

Eastern Mani in southern Greece and the islands of Karpathos and Syros have been identified as the regions having the most friendly beaches.

Last days to enjoy Herk Alexander’s Greek art exhibition in Sydney

On Saturday, April 20, Herk Alexander officially launched his art exhibition as part of the Greek Festival of Sydney.

You May Also Like

Greek government submits bill to curb people’s right to protest

Greece’s centre-right government submitted a bill on Monday to impose tighter controls on public protests that frequently block traffic and turn violent.

Maria Alexiadis OAM: Part-time scientist, part-time Kumite sensei

“I hope that the Greek Australian community are as proud and inspired by my recognition as I am of my Greek heritage,” she says.

BREAKING: Australian government and private sectors hit by major cyber attack

Australia is currently being hit with a massive cyber attack by a “sophisticated, state-based cyber actor”, Prime Minister Scott Morrison says.