Kyla-Lee Janakis awarded for Modern Greek Studies at Macquarie University

·

Kyla-Lee Janakis has been awarded the AHEPA NSW Prize, which is worth $1,000, at Macquarie University’s Languages and Cultures Student Prize-giving Ceremony on May 20.

The ceremony was held at the Arts Precinct Function Centre and MC’d by Dr Jane Hanley who is the Discipline Chair of Languages and Cultures at the university.

In attendance to congratulate Ms Janakis for winning the award on the night was Constantinos Yiannakodimos, Head of the Public Diplomacy Office of Greece in Sydney, representing the Consul General of Greece in Sydney, Dr Patricia Koromvokis, Head of the Modern Greek Studies Program at Macquarie University, Theophilus Premetis, President of the Greek Studies Foundation Macquarie University, and Bill Skandalakis, President of AHEPA NSW.

“I am very honoured to have been awarded this prize… I am extremely fortunate and grateful that Macquarie University recognises the importance of the Greek language and culture, and for this reason I had the opportunity to embark on a learning journey about my wonderful heritage,” Ms Janakis tells The Greek Herald about being awarded.

“I am grateful to my teacher Dr Patricia Koromvokis, whose dedication and passion for teaching made me love every moment of my learning experience and I am very grateful for this gift she gave me.”

For her part, Dr Koromvokis says the awards ceremony recognises the efforts of students who work with great diligence, zeal and enthusiasm.

“Kyla, in addition to being an excellent and exemplary student with an unquenchable thirst for learning, is an example of perseverance and dedication,” Dr Koromvokis tells The Greek Herald.

“She is the mother of four girls. I feel lucky to be her lecturer because Kyla proves to everyone around her that it is never too late to set goals and pursue your dreams!”

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

‘More than a lecture, a movement’: Emanuel Comino’s talk on Parthenon Marbles attracts large crowd

Emanuel Comino AM, President of the International Organising Committee-Australia-For the Restitution of the Parthenon Marbles, gave a lecture.

Sydney Olympic and APIA Leichhardt to play legends match at Festival of Football

On Sunday, April 23 at Lambert Park in Leichhardt, Sydney there will be a legends match between Sydney Olympic FC and APIA Leichhardt FC.

Greek and Australian locations listed in NYT best travel destinations

Methana, Kangaroo island and Uluru are in this year’s New York Times list of 52 destinations that you have to visit in 2023.