Krystina Emmanouilides is paving the way for women in Formula 1

·

Krystina Emmanouilides is a Greek Australian woman carving her way through the male-dominated world of motorsport.

Speaking to ABC News, Krystina shares how she went from dreaming of working in Formula 1 to actually becoming a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) development engineer in Alfa Romeo’s ORLEN Formula 1 team.

“We use data from the track and the wind tunnel, and we do a lot of checks and improvements constantly to increase the quality [of simulations],” Krystina told the media outlet.

Growing up in the inner suburbs of Melbourne, Emmanouilides’ family lived close enough to Albert Park Circuit that the roar of engines soundtracked her childhood. This saw her want to study mechanical engineering but she just had to find a way in.

READ MORE: 13-year-old, Marianos Nikolis, on his dream to become a MotoGP world champion.

Alfa Romeo’s ORLEN Formula 1 team.

“I was doing research on the internet, but there wasn’t a whole lot of information, like, how do you get into F1? It’s a very exclusive field,” she said.

Eventually, she got into Oxford Brookes University and travelled alone to Oxford, 90 minutes north-west of London, UK, to study a field heavily dominated by men.

“The chances that you were in the same class as another woman was always very low,” Krystina explained, while recalling how there were five women in engineering — herself included — out of roughly 300 students.

Nevertheless, Krystina, who is also openly gay, found her group of reliable fellow students who she could lean on when studies became especially challenging and competitive.

READ MORE: Christina Vithoulkas: Becoming a paraplegic made me a stronger, happier person.

“I never wanted to just be treated as one of the guys. But I felt like I belonged. I had worked hard to get there, just like everyone else, I had the same interest as everyone else, I wanted to be in the same place as everyone else. So I belonged there,” she said.

Now, with a foot in the door in the Formula 1 industry, Krystina is focused on not only succeeding and making changes for herself, but for the women and LGBTQI+ community coming through after her.

“There are many steps left in my career progression. And like I said, I’m here to stay but at the same time, I don’t want to take my position for granted. F1 is such a small pool for engineering,” Krystina said.

“As I climb the ladder, and I sort of have a little bit more control over that, I am really keen to make sure that I can be in a position to give more opportunities to students from different backgrounds.”

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Fifty years strong: Celebrating the enduring legacy of Modern Greek at Sydney University

The Department of Modern Greek at the University of Sydney marks its milestone 50th anniversary this year and to celebrate, more than 100 past...

HACCI SA celebrate one year since revival with annual Parliament House event

By Peter Tantalos The South Australian Hellenic Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (HACCI SA) commemorated the first anniversary of its revival by hosting its...

AHEPA NSW to mark 90 years of service

AHEPA NSW will mark 90 years of service to Hellenism and to Australia since the founding meeting at the northern NSW town of Werris...

Tom Koutsantonis MP gets extra portfolio in SA Cabinet reshuffle

In a recent South Australian government cabinet reshuffle, Tom Koutsantonis was given an extra portfolio following the resignation of Independent MP, Geoff Brock. According to...

Stefanos Tsitsipas knocks back Maria Sakkari’s Olympics offer for ‘dream with brother’

Greek tennis champion, Stefanos Tsitsipas has revealed that he is unlikely to play mixed doubles with his Greek compatriot, Maria Sakkari at the 2024...

You May Also Like

New Odysseus Elytis museum in Athens nears completion

A new museum dedicated to Nobel Prize-winning poet Odysseus Elytis is nearing completion in Plaka, Athens and is expected to be finished this summer. The...

Oakleigh Grammar opens new N P Nikolakakis Centre for Academic Excellence

Melbourne’s Oakleigh Grammar officially opened its N P Nikolakakis Centre for Academic Excellence on Sunday, May 7. The centre was inaugurated in the presence of...

Greece to perform in Eurovision 2021 grand final

Stefania stole the hearts of Europe in the Second Semi-Final of the Eurovision Song Contest 2021, advancing through to the grand final this weekend....