‘I never expected to win’: Samantha Papavasiliou among SA Woman Awards recipients

·

Greek Australian, Samantha Papavasiliou, has won The Shine Award at this year’s SA Woman Awards.

The Shine Award is a new category this year and recognises a woman who pursues excellence in her chosen career and who has overcome challenges to continue to pave their own path towards a career they are thriving in.

Samantha fits this award category perfectly.

She works at the Australian Taxation Office; is a senior research fellow at the James Cook University; is an advocate for people who identify as neurodivergent or atypical; and is a great supporter of Women in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math).

Speaking to The Greek Herald in September, Samantha also detailed her ongoing battle with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) that stems from germaphobia, and explained how the last twelve months have been the most demanding of her life.

“I was dealing with my own health and personal issues, when my family learned that Mum was going through renal failure, followed by the emotional roller coaster waiting for a transplant,” she explained.

“Hearing my dad wake up one day and say ‘I will be the donor,’ showed me what true strength and selflessness really is. We are now post-transplant, and they are both doing incredibly well.”

In her award acceptance speech, Samantha credited her success to the support of her parents, siblings Chloe and Jake, and partner Levi.

“I never expected to win. I was completely shocked,” Samantha told The Greek Herald after her win. “I hope my story shows other women going through tough times, that it’s okay to ask for help and support.”

Now in their fifth year, the SA Woman Awards recognise the achievements of women in business and careers from across South Australia.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Pontian Society of Sydney donates Panagia Soumela icon to St Stephanos church

The Pontian Society of Sydney Panagia Soumela has presented an icon of Panagia Soumela to the church of St Stephanos at Hurlstone Park.

Australia’s first Greek Orthodox church to reopen

The Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox church (Aghia Triada) in Surry Hills, Sydney is set to reopen on Sunday, June 2. Read more here.

New committee elected to lead Victoria’s Greek National Day Council

A new executive committee to lead Victoria's Greek National Day Council was elected at a meeting on Monday, May 13.

Two Greek Australian women named in U-23 Four Nations Tournament squad

Two Greek Australian women have been named in U-23 Four Nations Tournament squad for Australia. Read more here.

Australian chain Lukumades makes US debut

Melbourne-based doughnut and coffee chain Lukumades has opened its first US outlet in Jacksonville Beach, Florida. 

You May Also Like

NUGAS and GCM lectures celebrate anniversary of the Greek War of Independence

Yianni Cartledge will present a two-part series of lectures entitled "Greek War of Independence (1821-1832): Between history and ‘mythistory".

Australian government responds to Greek Federation’s concerns on pensioners’ living costs

The Department of Social Services has responded to a letter by a Greek Federation outlining their concerns around pensioners' cost of living.

AUKUS: Australia, the US and UK announce landmark new security pact

Australia, the United States and Britain have today unveiled a landmark new trilateral security partnership.