Greek community applauds high achieving HSC students

·

Over 54,840 students in New South Wales received their Higher School Certificate (HSC) results at 6am this morning, signifying the end of their high school journey.

This year, 48 students got the highest possible ATAR of 99.95. One of them was Billy Bourdaniotis from St Spyridon College in Maroubra.

Speaking with The Sydney Morning Herald this morning, Billy said he didn’t expect a rank of 99.95 until he put his marks into an online ATAR calculator.

READ MORE: Greek Australian students in NSW top the state in 2021 HSC rankings.

Billy Bourdaniotis.

“I kept refreshing the UAC page to make sure it was real, to see if it would magically go down or something,” he said, adding that he called his parents as soon as he got his results and “they were ecstatic.”

Billy said this is the first time St Spyridon College has ever received a 99.95 ATAR. His first preference is to do a degree in actuarial studies at university.

“I’m just in shock, to be honest, I didn’t expect this at all,” he said.

And Billy isn’t alone. Picnic Point High student, Victoria Sakis, also received a 99.00 ATAR when HSC results were released this morning.

READ MORE: Con Theocharous and Alex Khlentzos: How topping the HSC years ago impacted their lives.

Picnic Point High student, Victoria Sakis.

“My friend Henry and I were both hoping to get over 85, so I freaked out when I got my ATAR and my bands,” Victoria told the newspaper.

The Year 12 graduate now hopes to study Law at the University of New South Wales this year and is looking forward to getting the full university experience after two years of online learning.

Meanwhile, Isander Mesimeris from Sydney Grammar School also received a 99.95 ATAR this morning and he said it has given him a lot of options for deciding what he wants to do this year.

“I think I am going to go to Sydney University and study Arts and Law, or maybe a medicine degree… I am interested in a medicine degree even though I didn’t take any sciences,” Mesimeris said.

Isander Mesimeris.

Mesimeris, who also came first in the state in Classical Greek Continuers and Classical Greek Extension, said his other top priority moving into 2022 was to travel.

“I want the first ticket to France … I have spent so long learning the language and I have never been,” he said.

Alexander Watson from Newington College also achieved a high ATAR of 97.10, the Vice Captain of St Euphemia College, Phoebe Divanis, achieved an ATAR of 98.75, Sarah Anastasiou from St Catherine’s School Waverley received 99.45 ATAR, and Alix Anastasiadis from Kambala received an ATAR of 98.8.

These fantastic results come after The Greek Herald reported on Wednesday that seven Greek Australian students also came first in the state for their HSC subjects this year.

Other Distinguished Achievers:

St Spyridon College:

• Alannah Vezos
  • Anna-Simone Mina
  • Anneta Maroulis
  • Athena Demetriou
  • Billy Bourdaniotis
  • Chanele Bteddini
  • Christo-Odysseus Keramitzis
  • Demi Micos
  • Elena Kaldis
  • Elise Georgiou
  • Elleni Mouskos
  • Franklin Pyliotis
  • George Nicholos
  • James Bletsas
  • Lexine Turner
  • Maria Angela Patsalis
  • Mary Diamond
  • Mihalis Dovellos
  • Stephen Koutoulogenis
  • Taylor Marinos
  • Teoni Antonopoulos
  • Valentina Spyridopoulos
  • Vicki Synesios

All Saints Grammar:

• Abbigayle Botonakis-Borg
  • Alexandros Bardas
  • Deena Tzimoulas
  • Elizabeth Parzakonis
  • Gina Zhang
  • Macrina Stivaktas
  • Petroula Boulougouris
  • Samantha Gianoudis
  • Victoria Hatziergatis
  • Zoey Sampsonis

St Euphemia College:

• Andjela Trazivuk
  • Christopher Thomas
  • Chrysovalantou Gabriella Giamas
  • Dimitra Galanopoulos
  • Dimitrios Vourtsanis
  • Eleftheria Papoutsaki
  • Grammatiki Moysiadou
  • Konstantinos Zisopoulos
  • Phoebe Divanis
  • Rafaella Kladis
  • Styliani Koliris
  • Vasos Kartambis
  • Zoe Anastasia Janes

*Please Note: The above students are those The Greek Herald could identify by their Greek name. If you believe you should be on this list, please send an email to info@foreignlanguage.com.au.

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

Alphington Grammar celebrates 35 years with successful Twilight Family Festival

Alphington Grammar School held their Twilight Family Festival on Friday, March 1, which saw over 2500 attendees.

Jason Sotiris on how parental love led to the creation of ‘Supertee’

The night his one-year-old daughter was diagnosed with a rare type of cancer, Jason Sotiris made her two promises. The first, a trip to...

Alex Agelopoulos: Violent pitch invader from Melbourne to plead guilty

Lawyers for Melbourne man Alex Agelopoulos, have told the courts he will plead guilty for the pitch invasion attack on goalkeeper Tom Glover.