Greek Australian, John-Patrick Asimakis, receives prestigious Oxford scholarship

·

Bachelor of Laws graduate from the University of Sydney (USYD), John-Patrick Asimakis, has been awarded the Peter Cameron Sydney Oxford Scholarship for 2021.

As the recipient, Mr Asimakis has headed to the UK to undertake postgraduate studies at the University of Oxford where he will study a Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL). 

“The BCL is renowned as the most rigorous Masters-level law degree in the common law world. I am looking forward to making the most of the outstanding teaching that will be on offer,” Mr Asimakis said in a media release.

“I feel absolutely honoured to have been awarded this scholarship. Without the generous support the scholarship provides, studying at Oxford would simply not be possible for me.”

Mr Asimakis’ academic accomplishments as a Bachelor of Laws student at USYD included being the 2019 University Medallist in Law and receiving numerous academic prizes. He was also a reporter, volunteer, and skilled mooter. He graduated with honours.

Greek Australian, John-Patrick Asimakis, has received a prestigious Oxford scholarship.

To add to his impressive list of achievements, Mr Asimakis speaks four modern languages, and knows Latin and Classical Greek.

He says he plans to practice law and “to continue contributing to legal study by writing and teaching.”

“I genuinely loved my undergraduate studies in law. At the risk of sounding cynical, I don’t think all or even most law students could honestly say that. So pursuing further study in law is something that has always appealed to me,” Mr Asimakis said.

He concluded by giving advice to others who also want to pursue law.

“Be open minded about where you may end up. There are lots of career paths which someone with a law degree can fruitfully pursue.” 

Source: The University of Sydney.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece leads athlete parade along Seine at Paris Olympics’ historic opening ceremony

The Greek Olympic team led the athlete parade along the Seine River during the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday, July 26.

Grateful organ recipient Dimitri Tsekinis shares story of survival for DonateLife Week

A lifeline was handed not once but twice to 43-year-old Dimitri Tsekinis when he was the recipient of two organs.

2024 Odyssey Art Prize: GOCSA announces open call for visual artists

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia’s Odyssey Festival celebrates 17 years of presence in Adelaide's cultural scene this year.

Dr Phil Kafcaloudes to explore ‘going English’ in lecture on Greek migration

"In a name-proud Greek culture, the decision to anglicise one’s family name is a profound study in migratory and cultural dynamics," says Dr Kafcaloudes.

Peter Kiritsis sells million-dollar Adelaide home as grandfather gifts it to grandkids

An Adelaide grandfather has set a new standard for grandparent gifts by purchasing a 1960s-built home for his grandchildren at auction.

You May Also Like

Greek-Australian Society’s virtual panel facilitates Voice to Parliament discussion

Greek-Australian Society hosted a ‘Greek-Australians and the Voice to Parliament’ virtual panel this month.

Sophie Cotsis leading the charge for Canterbury Hospital redevelopment

“Well done to Sophie Cotsis for leading this cause. She’s never stopped fighting for locals to receive the hospital upgrade we deserve.”

Greek priest behind acid attack charged and admitted to psychiatric hospital

A priest charged with multiple counts of causing grievous bodily harm and is awaiting psychiatric evaluation after assaulting 10 people.