Former lift truck driver Theo Seremetidis paid out by Qantas

·

Former lift truck driver, Theo Seremetidis will receive $21,000 from Qantas after the company was found guilty of illegally standing him down following concerns raised about cleaning aircraft in the early days of the Covid pandemic.

According to The Australian, Seremetidis was stood down from his role with Qantas Ground Services in February 2020 after he gave his colleagues a direction to stop unsafe work.

Seremetidis, the elected health and safety representative, was concerned about the potential of contracting the corona virus when cleaning aircraft arriving from China.

On November 16, last year, Judge David Russell ruled that Qantas participated in “discriminatory conduct” when it stood down the “conscientious” worker, violating workplace health and safety standards.

“I find that [Qantas] saw the giving of the directions by Seremetidis to cease work as a threat to the conduct of business and, in particular, a threat to the ability of [Qantas] to clean and service aircraft and get them back in the air,” Judge Russell said.

Today, Qantas agreed to compensate Seremetidis $21,000 for economic and non-economic losses incurred as a result of the airline’s unlawful actions.

According to the court, the airline will pay $6000 in economic loss compensation and $15,000 in “injury and humiliation” compensation to Seremetidis.

In a statement, Seremetidis said he felt the “David and Goliath battle” was finally coming to an end.

“This was never about compensation for me but about holding Qantas to account for its actions and standing up for health and safety representatives’ ability to carry out their duties to keep workplaces safe,” Seremetidis said.

“The smallest thing Qantas could have done was to say sorry, but they haven’t even done that.”

Source: The Australian

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Andy Ferrara named among Adelaide’s young chefs shaping the future of dining

Adelaide’s emerging culinary stars are making waves across South Australia’s best restaurants. Among those recognised is Andy Ferrara.

Greece ranks second worldwide for Blue Flag beaches

Greece has once again secured its place among the world’s top beach destinations, ranking second globally with 624 Blue Flag beaches.

You May Also Like

Development application lodged for Saint Andrew’s Theological College relocation

A development application has been lodged to enable Saint Andrew’s Theological College to relocate to the former St Basil’s in Kensington.

Alleged Operation Ironside drug trafficker, Apostle Broikos, has valuables worth thousands seized

Luxury watches worth hundreds of thousands of dollars were found in the bedroom of Apostle Broikos, court documents allege.

Oakleigh Grammar students represent Australia at Round Square Conference in Dubai

Oakleigh Grammar celebrated its participation in the 2025 Round Square International Conference in Dubai during the past school holidays.