Eves Karydas on celebrating her Greek heritage through music

·

Eves Karydas’ 2018 debut album ‘summerskin‘ put her on people’s radars as a pop icon in-the-making, with hit songs ‘Further Than The Planes Fly’ and ‘Couch.’

This year, her new single ‘Complicated’ further cemented her status as a music star.

But what many don’t know about the Brisbane-based artist, is that she’s a passionate Greek Australian with a “big Greek family” and “very superstitious yiayia,” as she likes to say.

“I grew up in Cairns with lots of cousins, used to go to the Greek church, got so many presents at Christmas and birthdays, and had a very superstitious yiayia,” Karydas told ABC Triple J.

Eves Karydas’ new single ‘Complicated’ has cemented her status as a music star.

Born Hannah Evyenia Karydas, she went under the name ‘Eves the Behaviour’ when she first started making music. But a couple of years ago, she made the call to change up the back half.

“Obviously Karydas is my surname. Eves comes from my middle name, it’s actually a Greek family name Evyenia,” she explains.

“I think the direction I’ve taken…the music is a lot more confessional and up front, so I didn’t want to hide behind a moniker.”

Eves Karydas was born in Cairns to a big Greek family.

Both Hannah’s grandparents grew up in Greece during WW2 before emigrating to Australia. Her pappou began working as a cane farmer once he came over and that’s where he met her yiayia.

“He’s the grandfather that I refer to in ‘Complicated’ but he passed away last year,” she explains. “He served in the Greek military and his upbringing and his childhood was just so… well, complicated, I guess.

“When he passed away it gave me a bit of a perspective check. I was like, ‘why am I complaining about things?’ He emigrated across the world by boat when he was my age and was so brave.”

Her extended family are from an island off Greece called Samos. “It’s famous because Pythagoras [of Theorem fame] is from there,” she exclaims.

“It’s so beautiful! My family live right on the beach and their job is to rent beach umbrellas to tourists and sell ice cream.”

If you do find yourself going to Greece some time in the who knows how distant future, Hannah’s top tip is: “Don’t go to Mykonos.”

“Mykonos is great if you want to spend $8 for a bottle of water. Go to another island. Go to Athens. It’s just so much more authentic and there’s no crazy rich people who get in the way. Or go to Samos! Boost the tourism industry!”

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

The Greek designer behind Amanda Gorman’s symbolic hoop earrings

On this historic day, Oprah, who has been one of Gorman’s most vocal supporters, gave the young poet the bold earrings and a birdcage ring.

Mary Kotses buys the most expensive residential property ever sold in SA

SA has a new residential property record after prominent North Adelaide property, Bishop’s Court, sold to local businesswoman Mary Kotses.

‘Zito Ellas’: Greeks in Sydney mark Greece’s National Day with proud cultural display

The Greek community of Sydney came out in full force to celebrate Greek Independence Day on Sunday, March 26.