‘Everything I do, I find a little success in’: Violinist Dimitri Calligeros reflects on his career

·

As Dimitris Basis walks towards the front of the stage with conductor George Ellis to begin the show on the 200th Anniversary of the Greek War of Independence, principal violinist Dimitri Calligeros holds on his musical instrument tight and gives the concert pitch along with a bright smile. 

Everything is ready to go. The vibrant and warm on-stage energy spreads like a peplum over the audience at Adelaide’s Town Hall.  

Ellis bows in front of the attendees before he goes on to silently introduce to the crowd his right-hand man, Dimitri Calligeros. 

Violinist Dimitri Calligeros with conductor George Ellis. Photo: The Greek Herald/Argyro Vourdoumpa

The two men, met working for the Sydney Opera House Orchestra nearly 20 years ago and they developed a strong musical rapport as well as a very close friendship as George Ellis reveals to The Greek Herald.

“He is a superb musician. As my concertmaster, he not only plays by example on stage but also helps me behind the scenes by collating and sorting the music. He is my right-hand man and my go-to person for all our Greek music orchestral performances. I respect him highly,” says Ellis.

So much respect they have for each other, that George trusted Dimitri to conduct the concert held in Brisbane last week. Only a few hours before this major undertaking, a first of this scale in his career, the violinist spoke to The Greek Herald about his career in music, his future plans and shared his advice for aspiring musicians.  

Dimitri Calligeros conducted the 200 Years of Greek Independence concert in Brisbane

Who is the virtuoso violinist?        

A Sydney-born, third generation Australian of Greek heritage, Dimitri Calligeros doesn’t recall exactly when he first saw or heard the violin.

“What I remember is that I was about three years old when I started telling my parents that I wanted to play the violin,” he says. 

But nothing happened until some years later when Dimitri was in primary school.

“One day we did some music trials and I got to try out the violin by chance. I was very enthusiastic and my teacher, who ended up being my mentor for many years, called my parents to suggest that I should play the violin and this is how it all started,” Dimitri says.

“I finally got to play and that was that. I have been playing for more than 30 years.”

Dimitri Calligeros in Adelaide. Photo: The Greek Herald/Argyro Vourdoumpa

A proud Kytherian 

As passionate he is about his music, he is proud of his Kytherian background.

“I’m a Tsirigoti (a Kytherian),” he tells me in fluent Greek and explains how his yiayia (grandma) who migrated to Australia with her husband, was the first person to teach him the language. 

“She would sit me down and talk to me all the time,” he says, explaining how his upbringing has influenced his career.

“When you speak a different language, your mind thinks in a different way, from a different perspective.”

Asking him if he can sense the impulsiveness and the emotion of a Greek audience while on stage, he nods and smiles. 

“You can feel the energy. For us – me and colleagues – who are classically trained, it’s so refreshing to come to a stage and a concert like the one we currently perform for the 200 Years from the Greek Revolution, around Australia. There is so much involvement and this brings a great feeling all round.”

The audience at the Adelaide Town Hall. Photo: The Greek Herald

‘Everything I do, I find a little success in’

What does the musician consider the biggest success of his career so far?

“This is a hard question,” he says, “it’s like when I’m being asked what’s my favourite piece to play.”

“Everything I do, I find a little success in. My biggest success is that I do what I love doing full time and at the same time I have the opportunity to work together with great people like George Ellis.”

I ask him to give his advice to people who want to follow in his footsteps.

https://www.facebook.com/AdelaideConcert/posts/883997908996727

“Believe in yourselves, work hard because nothing can be achieved without hard work and do what you love doing with passion. Follow your heart,” says the violinist who is also a music teacher. 

Speaking about his future plans, Dimitri looks forward to releasing a solo violin recording of Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, that will be available soon. 

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Stefanos Tsitsipas continues unbeaten at the Barcelona Open

On Thursday, April 18, Stefanos Tsitsipas secured his spot in the quarterfinals of the Barcelona Open after defeating Roberto Carballes Baenain. The Greek tennis player,...

Greek parliamentarians promise action, but Australia’s diaspora needs more than words

By Mary Sinanidis. Four representatives of the Special Permanent Committee on Greeks Abroad (consisting of 31 MPs) said they came “to listen” to the Australian...

Finalists announced for the 1st Greek Youth Creative Arts Competition 2024

The Greek Festival of Sydney has exclusively announced to The Greek Herald the finalists of its ‘1st Greek Youth Creative Arts Competition.’ The theme of the inaugural competition...

Castellorizian Association of NSW hosts Cazzie Kids Easter event

On Monday, April 15, the Castellorizian Association of NSW welcomed kids and families for their Cazzie Kids Easter event. Held at The Castellorizian, a community centre...

National Second Tier club representatives hold meetings to plan for next year’s launch

Soccer clubs across the nation are gearing up for a significant milestone in Australian football history, the launch of the National Second Tier (NST)...

You May Also Like

Zoe Terakes named 2023 GQ Actor of the Year

The star of ‘Talk To Me,’ Zoe Terakes, has been named the 2023 GQ magazine Actor of the Year. The 23-year-old, non-binary, trans-masculine actor accepted...

Greek Australian, John Kokkinos, creates world-first human pancreatic cancer model

Greek Australian, John Kokkinos, is part of a team of medical researchers at the University of New South Wales who have made a world-first...

Greece and Romania to boost cooperation in energy sector

Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, met today with his Romanian counterpart, Nicolae Ionel Ciucă, at Megaros Maximos in Athens and agreed to further their...