Chris Christofi: The man on a mission to end homelessness in Australia

·

Leading Australian businessman, entrepreneur, author and renowned philanthropist, Chris Christofi, has embarked on an ambitious campaign to break the all time donation record for this year’s Vinnies CEO Sleepout, setting the lofty goal of raising $250,000 for charity.

Growing up with a strong work ethic in a Cypriot family, Chris owned eight properties by the age of 24, only to lose them all when the partnership collapsed. He went on to start his business, Reventon, from his parents house at the age of 25 with $348,000 worth of debt.

Chris is set to participate in his 5th Sleepout for charity. This year’s event will be held at the Port Melbourne Timber Yard on June 23.

Chris’ aim is to raise and donate a quarter of a million dollars to help improve the homelessness epidemic in Australia and he is so determined to contribute to the mammoth task ahead of him, that he will be matching all donations – for every dollar raised, he will donate an additional $3 himself. 

“I’m looking forward to joining the Vinnies CEO Sleepout for another year. Homelessness can happen to anyone; it can be nothing more than an unfortunate set of circumstances,” Chris says. 

“I experienced financial hardship in the early days of my career and I’m acutely aware that it could easily have been me if I didn’t have the support of my family. It’s so important we always show kindness and compassion to our fellow human beings in need.”

In 2021, Chris placed 2nd out of 206 CEOs in Victoria and 4th out of 1,613 CEOs Nationwide, placing him in the Top 0.25% of all fundraisers. His efforts have seen him named an ambassador for the CEO Sleepout and appointed as the 2021 Face of the Vinnies Campaign.

Chris has raised almost $300,000 for the CEO Vinnie’s Sleepout since 2018 and following this year’s sleepout he plans to build a house with all the money raised and auction it off, giving all proceeds to St Vincent de Paul.

“Through his involvement with Vinnies CEO Sleepout, Chris has demonstrated real ‘leadership with compassion’. He has gone over and above to get a real understanding of the issues facing people in his city,” General Manager of St Vincent de Paul Society Victoria, Andrew McKenzie, says.

“I remember Chris coming out with the Vinnies volunteer teams on our nightly Soup Van runs. He wanted to roll his sleeves up and be the one meeting, talking to and, most importantly, listening to those he was assisting with sharing food.

Chris sets a real example amongst business leaders as to how to engage with the issues being confronted by people every day. The way he brings his professional expertise as a CEO to complex issues is both impressive – and practical.

“Vinnies are very proud to have Chris involved in our CEO Sleepout. His fundraising will make a real and tangible impact for people doing it tough across Victoria.”

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Izzy the Jerusalem Donkey’: Helen Lakatos releases new kids book for Orthodox Easter

Helen Lakatos is a first generation Australian-born Cypriot, proud mum of two grown boys, and a loving yiayia of three grandchildren.

Kastellorizo and its gold: Nick Bogiatzis to give lecture in Melbourne

The Greek Community of Melbourne will present a lecture entitled "Kastellorizo and its Gold" at the Greek Centre, on Thursday

Greek olive oil excels with koroneiki and flavoured oils

The 2023 EVOO World Ranking (WR) listed 12 Greek extra virgin olive oils (EVOOs) among the world’s top 100

Most untouched beaches found in Mani, Karpathos and Syros

Eastern Mani in southern Greece and the islands of Karpathos and Syros have been identified as the regions having the most friendly beaches.

Last days to enjoy Herk Alexander’s Greek art exhibition in Sydney

On Saturday, April 20, Herk Alexander officially launched his art exhibition as part of the Greek Festival of Sydney.

You May Also Like

Aglaia Kyriakou: The modest benefactress of the children

Aglaia Kyriakou is driven by her love towards the ailing and destitute children towards opening a hospital in Greece.

‘Do it with meraki’: Italian Prime Minister hails Greeks for their approach to life

Giorgia Meloni, the new Prime Minister of Italy, used the Greek word 'meraki' to showcase that Italians need to be more passionate.

Wine expert Clive Hartley shares his favourite Greek bottles for the holiday season

Wine writer and educator Clive Hartley gives us his recommendations for the best Greek wines to sip on this Holiday Season.