Bill Papastergiadis appointed new Commissioner of the Victorian Multicultural Commission

·

Bill Papastergiadis has been appointed as a new Commissioner of the Victorian Multicultural Commission, an independent body that acts as conduit between Victoria’s multicultural communities and Government.

Mr Papastergiadis long been involved in multicultural affairs, gained though his elected position as the President of the Greek Community of Melbourne & Victoria.

Through this role, Mr Papastergiadis has devoted much of his time to the promotion and welfare of the Greek Community of Melbourne & Victoria, arguably the largest Greek community outside of Greece.

Bill Papastergiadis (centre) is President of the Greek Community of Melbourne & Victoria.

This work has involved him in many multicultural programs, as have his roles as Chairman of South Melbourne Football Club and numerous other positions.  

In adding this new appointment to his significant body of community work, Mr Papastergiadis says: “I am excited to bring my experience and insights to this important role with the VMC.”

“I strongly believe the richness of Victoria’s diverse multicultural communities is one of our greatest strengths as a state,” Mr Papastergiadis continued.

“I am honoured to play a part in advocating on behalf of all multicultural communities and committed to continuing the good work of Commission in its valuable mission to help to strengthen the relationships of these communities with government and with each other.”  

Bill Papastergiadis has also met with Australia Prime Minister, Scott Morrison (centre).

Following the announcement of the eight new appointees to the VMC, Victorian Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Ros Spence comments: “The new commissioners bring valuable experience and I look forward to working with them to ensure we are supporting multicultural communities to the best of our ability.”

“The Commissioners are a vital link between Victoria’s multicultural communities and Government – and those relationships have never been more important,” Ms Spence said.

The seven other new Commissioners appointed to the VMC include: Lunorphare (Luna) Folly (Youth Commissioner), Abiola Akinbiyi (Community Representative Commissioner), Tarang Chawla, Jennifer Huppert, Nyangak (Lizzy) Kuoth, Mohamed Mohideen and Silvia Renda.

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

A memorable event: Kostas Mountakis Tribute Concert in Sydney hailed a success

The Cretan Association of Sydney and NSW, together with the Cretan Federation of Australia and New Zealand, hosted a tribute concert for Cretan icon Kostas Mountakis.

Novak Djokovic defeats Stefanos Tsitsipas in Australian Open final

Novak Djokovic has defeated Stefanos Tsitsipas in the Australian Open men's final at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne, Victoria on Sunday night.

Protestors in Athens rally against same-sex marriage bill

More than 1,500 protestors came together in central Athens to express their opposition to legalise same-sex marriage in Greece.