Artist Michael Zavros creates dummy dad for new Sydney exhibition

·

Followers of Greek Australian, Michael Zavros, will be shocked by the artist’s long-awaited Sydney exhibition next week, his first show here in over a decade.

‘The Michael Zavros: A Guy Like Me’ exhibit at Redfern gallery, Sullivan and Strumpf, will feature a vaguely lifelike mannequin and self portrait of Zavros called ‘Dad.’

In his words, ‘Dad’ is the better looking version of himself.

“He’s a better version of me — 6’3” (190cm), broader, more cut, a bit younger and a lot smoother,” Zarvos told TimeOut.

The head of the mannequin was sculpted by Zavros then run through a 3D printer. From there, the head was attached to a store-bought mannequin and the whole thing was airbrushed to match his skin tones. 

“I had to find a lot of different people to work with in order to make this thing,” he said.

Zavros then took the new and ‘improved’ him out and about around town to take in the sand and surf, a Sunday drive and a spot of horse riding. 

He captured the whole thing on camera, and the final portraits have been blown up for your viewing pleasure, presented in a seriously airbrushed, lifestyle mag-ready photoshoot style.

Zavros’ show will run at Sullivan and Strumpf in ­Zetland from October 15 until November 14.

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Historic bonds between Greeks and ANZACs honoured at Phaleron War Cemetery

The Australian Ambassador to Greece, Ms Alison Duncan hosted a special ceremony for ANZAC Day in Athens, Greece,

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

You May Also Like

1821: The formation of modern Greece

The Greek state as the heir, but also the creator of this Revolution, as well as all Greeks inside and outside the borders, must celebrate the 2 centennial anniversary.

THI Australia renews support for homeless in Athens through Emfasis grant

The Hellenic Initiative Australia will be supporting more than 2100 homeless in Athens and Piraeus through an AU$35,000 grant to Emfasis Foundation.

Greece secures victory against Kosovo in UEFA Nations League second round

Greece has claimed its second victory in the UEFA Nations League after defeating Kosovo 1-0 at Pristina this morning.