‘An unbelievable sight’: At least 23 dead as two refugee boats sink off Greek coast

·

Search and rescue operations are underway in the west and east of Greece, off the islands of Lesvos and Kythera, after refugees desperate to reach Europe were involved in two separate disasters just hours apart.

Off the coast of Lesvos, an over-loaded boat believed to have been carrying 40 passengers capsized on Thursday. According to official reports, the Greek Coast Guard has so far rescued 10 people and recovered 18 bodies: 16 young African women, a man and a boy.

Rescued migrants receive hospital treatment on the Greek island of Lesvos following the deadly sinking of a dinghy carrying migrants, on Thursday, October 10, 2022. AP Photo/Panagiotis Balaskas.

Based on preliminary investigations, it has been said the dinghy had set sail from the Turkish coast.

At least five people are believed to have died in a separate incident off the island of Kythera a few hours later.

The vessel, ultimately bound for Italy, is believed to have been carrying about 95 refugees tightly crammed before it was overcome by gale-force winds, struck rocks and sank. 80 people have been rescued, of whom at least 13 were taken to Kythera’s hospital.

Migrants, most of them from Afghanistan, gather at an old school used as a temporary shelter on the island of Kythera, southern Greece, Thursday, October 6, 2022. AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis.

“These are both very difficult operations … due to the strong winds which have been raging relentlessly on both sides of the coasts since last night,” Greek coastguard spokesperson, Nikos Kokkalas, said.

Speaking with the national broadcaster, ERT, he said the survivors from the Lesbos wreck are believed to be from African countries, whilst those from the Kythera wreck are believed to be from Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq.

He added that the Kythera boat had been “completely destroyed” in winds of up to 101km/h and that passengers screamed for help as the boat sank.

Speaking with AP News, Afghan survivor, Abdul Ghafar Amur said: “The waves was too much high, about 6 metres.”

“We tried to save our lives, but most of our friends, they have died,” he said.

The survivors managed to cling to the rocks and nearby locals poured out to help pull them to safety with ropes.

“All the residents here went down to the harbour to try and help,” island resident Martha Stathaki told The Associated Press.

“We could see the boat smashing against the rocks and people climbing up those rocks to try and save themselves. It was an unbelievable sight.”

Amur said he paid smugglers $9,000 to be transported from Turkey to Italy, which matched accounts by other survivors.

Authorities and local residents save a migrant during a large-scale rescue operation on the island of Kythera, early Thursday, October 6, 2022. Photo: Ippolytos Prekas/kythera.news

Kythera is 400 kilometres west of Turkey and on a route often used by smugglers to bypass Greece and head directly to Italy.

Athens has since blamed both tragedies on Ankara’s unwillingness to implement the agreements it has signed with the European Union to prevent migrant boats from reaching European shores.

“As long as Turkey does not apply the laws, as long as it backs traffickers, as long as it does not honour the agreements it has signed, we will unfortunately also be faced with such tragedies,” government spokesperson Giannis Oikonomou told journalists at a regular briefing on Thursday. 

Early this morning, Greece’s Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis tweeted: “I want to express my sadness at the tragic loss of human life in 2 separate shipwrecks in the Aegean, despite the heroic efforts of the Greek Coast Guard.”

“It is time to really work together, in a more meaningful way, to avoid such incidents from happening again.

“But also to completely neutralize traffickers who take advantage of innocent people, desperate people, who are trying to reach the European continent in boats that are clearly not seaworthy,” he added.


Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Daughter of Captain Reginald Saunders shares story of his Cretan ties at Sydney talk

The Australian Archaeological Institute at Athens held a talk at Sydney University about Battle of Crete soldier, Captain Reginald Saunders

Top 7 little-known facts about the Athenian Democracy

Paying zero taxes and owning slaves were just two facets of Athenian life in the 5th-4th century BC. Here are the top seven facts about ancient Athenian democracy you might not know.

Team Greece claim final four spot at Australia’s United Cup

Maria Sakkari and Stefanos Tsitsipas beat the Croatian team mixed doubles team winning a spot for Team Greece at the United Cup Finals.