First group of migrants from Cyprus relocated to Italy under Pope pledge

·

A first group of migrants left Cyprus on Thursday as part of an initiative by Pope Francis to assist in their relocation, the government said.

Twelve migrants left Cyprus for Italy, Cyprus’ interior ministry said.

“We would like to warmly thank Pope Francis and the Holy See for this symbolic gesture and anticipate it will be a step towards substantive solidarity by other (EU) member states towards the Republic of Cyprus,” it said.

The Pope pledged to arrange the transfer of 50 migrants during his visit to the island in early December.

Ethnically divided Cyprus has struggled to manage an influx of migrants and refugees in the past two years.

Many asylum seekers access the southern government-controlled areas through the “Green Line” splitting the island after previously arriving in the breakaway Turkish Cypriot state in its north.

Cyprus, which is the closest EU member state to the Middle East, says arrivals so far this year are up 38 percent compared with the whole of 2020.

Pope Francis, whose defense of refugees and migrants is defining his papacy, also visited Greece and the island of Lesbos earlier this month.

During a previous visit in 2016, Pope Francis left Lesbos, then at the frontline of Europe’s migration crisis, taking 12 Syrian refugees with him.

Source: Reuters 

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

George Miller gives chance to 10-year-old actress Dylan Adonis

Ten-year-old Dylan Adonis was ready to give up on acting when popular Greek Australian film director, George Miller called to offer her a role...

2023 Young Chef of the Year Nick Deligiannis leads new Mediterranean fare

“Growing up, I always looked at chefs as my idols,” Nick Deligiannis tells The Greek Herald. He was enamoured by culinary connoisseurs.

16-year-old Victor Vernicos to represent Greece at Eurovision

16-year-old Victor Vernicos will represent Greece at this year's Eurovision song contest in Liverpool, the United Kingdom in May.