Court hears new evidence into Darwin shooting rampage that killed Michael Sisois

·

A man accused of murdering four people during a shooting spree across Darwin was terrified someone was out to get him before the killings, a court has heard. 

Benjamin Glenn Hoffman has pleaded not guilty to four counts of murder in less than an hour at four locations on 4 June 2019, the Guardian reports. 

The day before the men died, Hoffman allegedly pulled his car into a service station in Coolalinga and gave his mobile phone to the cashier, Edith Reidy. 

“He was scared,” she told the Northern Territory supreme court on Tuesday.

“Terrified?” the defense lawyer Jon Tippett QC asked.

“Yes,” Reidy said.

Hoffmann’s ex-girlfriend Kelly Collins told the court that about the same time, Hoffman had smoked crystal methamphetamine with her at her home in a nearby suburb. 

She said the third man to die the following day, Michael Sisois, 57, was also with the pair. 

In the days after the rampage, Hoffman allegedly told police he believed Sisois had poisoned him in an attempt to kill him two days earlier. 

“I reckon I was spiked. Maybe with a substance or something,” he said in a recording played to the Northern Territory Supreme Court last week. 

“I think Sisois did it. That Greek guy. I don’t know if he used tranquilizer or tried to poison me.”

Hassan Baydoun, 33, and Nigel Hellings, 75, and Rob Courtney, 52, were also killed in the spree as Hoffman searched for Collins and a man named Alex Deligiannis less than 24 hours later, the crown says.

The trial continues. 

Source: The Guardian, Northern Beaches Review

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Arianna Huffington to Jennifer Aniston: “the ultimate role model of our Greek heritage”

It was Greek golden-girl Jennifer Aniston's birthday yesterday, and all of Hollywood's elites made sure to send out their best birthday wishes. Arianna Huffington, Founder...

Greek Orthodox Church at Liverpool receives $50,000 grant to help boost security

The Greek Orthodox Church of St Raphael, Nicholas and Irene in Liverpool has received a $50,000 grant from the NSW Government.

AHEPA Australia holds insightful lecture on Zagora Archaeological Site

AHEPA Australia has organised lectures in collaboration with the Australian Archaeological Institute of Athens, University of Sydney.