Mitsotakis asks locals to conserve power as Greece battles fires and ‘worst heatwave since 1987’

·

Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, warned on Monday that Greece is suffering its ‘worst heatwave since 1987,’ which claimed more than 1,000 lives.

Temperatures reached 45 degrees in inland areas of Greece and are expected to remain high for most of the week.

Speaking during a meeting at a power management center, Mitsotakis called on his fellow citizens to help the country out in its hour of need and conserve their power.

“Everything humanly possible has been done to secure the country’s power supply. But we are also asking consumers to help us,” Mitsotakis said at the event.

READ MORE: Wildfires wreck havoc across Greek villages.

Authorities have asked citizens to minimise power usage at peak times, notably in the afternoon and evening, in order to prevent the electricity grid from being over-burdened.

The intense heat has helped fan wildfires that have destroyed more than 3,000 hectares of pine and olive groves in the country’s west since Saturday.

Deputy Civil Protection Minister, Nikos Hardalias, said there had been 1,584 fires across Greece in July compared to 953 in 2019, and there had been 116 new blazes in just the last 24 hours.

There are fires across Greece at the moment.

“We are no longer talking about climate change but about a climate threat,” Hardalias told Star TV.

The fire near Patras was not fully under control on Monday, with five villages and a seaside town already evacuated. Eight people have also been hospitalised with burns and respiratory problems.

READ MORE: Wildfire in western Greece forces village, beach evacuations.

The fire service on Monday also ordered the precautionary evacuation of a village in the southwestern Peloponnese as it battled a wildfire near Vassilitsi, in the Pylos-Nestor municipality in the region of Messinia.

A fire on Rhodes is largely under control, officials said.

Officials were optimistic, however, that a fire on the island of Rhodes, near the Turkish coast, was on the back foot after more firefighters and resources were deployed overnight.

READ MORE: Massive fire rips through Rhodes, leaves much of the island without power and water.

“Dawn finds Rhodes much better than the day before,” South Aegean Governor, George Hatzimarkos, said in a statement.

He added that the fire fronts were receding and “almost under control.”

Source: RT.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Maria Sakkari stuns Paolini in Madrid for first Top 10 win in over a year

Maria Sakkari delivered a commanding 6-2, 6-1 upset over No. 6 seed Jasmine Paolini at the Mutua Madrid Open on Sunday.

New Greek food memoir celebrates three generations of women and 54 years of Yarraville history

In Yarraville, where the aroma of traditional Greek cuisine has wafted through the streets, Amanatidis unveils her debut book.

Antiquities hoard uncovered in central Athens basement

Hidden in a concealed underground space accessible only via a trapdoor, the objects were wrapped in newspapers from the 1940s.