President Erdogan reportedly calls for a return of Greeks to Constantinople

·

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has reportedly called for the return of Greeks to Constantinople during an official dinner with Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I.

The Turkish ‘Sabah’ newspaper reported on its front page the discussions between President Erdoğan and Patriarch Bartholomew, which were held during a Ramadan Iftar feast.

The Sabah, along with other Turkish newspapers, said the meeting was “constructive” and held in a “good atmosphere.”

With the leaders of religious minorities in Turkey also present at the dinner, they claimed that the Turkish leader “embraced” the minorities. However, an independent United States’ commission on International Religious Freedom conducted last month found the Turkish government made “little to no effort to address many longstanding religious freedom issues”, referring to the governments decision to deny requests for elections to be held by religious minority communities.

“Although officials made a point to meet with some religious minority community leaders, the government appeared to take no subsequent action following that meeting to address those communities’ concerns,” the report said.

Despite this, the Turkish President told the Patriarch Bartholomew of his wish for the Greeks to return to their ancestral city.

The aftermath of the Turkish pogrom against the Greeks in 1955. Photo: Public Domain

Hundreds of thousands of Greeks were estimated to be living in Constantinople following WWI. In 1955, Greeks were driven out of Istanbul and Turkey when the Prime Minister decided to blame Greeks for their economic problems.

On September 6 and 7, 1955, a crowd of 50,000 Turkish people turned as one against the Greek properties in the Pera district.

There are now estimated to be up to 2,000 Greeks that remain in Constantinople.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Santorini ranked among top ten most romantic destinations in the world

According to a study by Mabrian, the Greek island of Santorini ranks in the top 10 most romantic destinations in the world.

White Pearl Foundation to hold fifth annual Breakfast for Brain Cancer

The White Pearl Foundation on Friday, May 19, in support of brain cancer patients, is holding the 5th Annual Breakfast for Brain Cancer.

Ian Markos named lead SA-BEST Upper House candidate

Prominent South Australian businessman, Ian Markos, has been named the lead SA-BEST candidate at the state election.