Vladimir Putin declines invitation to attend bicentennial independence parade in Greece

·

Vladimir Putin is the first leader to decline Greece’s invitation to the bicentennial independence celebration, honouring 200 years of Greece’s independence.

The Russian President is one of three leadership representatives for the remembrance of the Battle of Navarino, a battle which saw British, French and Russian soldiers unite to defeat Ottoman warships.

Greek Defense Minister Nikos Panagiototopoulos had announced earlier in the week that Putin, French President Emmanuel Macron and Prince Charles had received invitations to attend the parade as representatives of the three countries that contributed to the liberation of Greece.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peshkov said on Friday that Putin has no plans to visit Athens to attend the parade.

In October of 2020, Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis is said to have personally invited the Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov to the festivities, during his visit in Athens.

It is understood that the parade will go ahead with strict coronavirus restrictions in place in order to prevent further spread of the virus.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Greek football clubs respond to new National Second Tier format

South Melbourne FC and Sydney Olympic FC have both responded to Football Australia's recent announcement on the National Second Tier.

Archbishop Makarios outlines needs of Greek diaspora to NSW Government leaders

His Eminence outlined the problems and described the needs of the Greek Diaspora to the NSW Premier and State Government representatives.

Victims of Greek genocide honoured at Genocide Monument in Victoria

At the Genocide Monument located in the Ray Brahman Gardens, Victoria, the Victims Of The Greek Genocide In The Pontos Region were honoured.