Michael and Rita Nicolaou move out after Box Hill land acquisition

·

Michael and Rita Nicolaou have moved out of their Box Hill property, which was acquired by the Minns government to build two new schools, just days before the sheriff was due to arrive.

The couple, who received up to $27 million for one of their blocks, say they still need to relocate equipment onto another parcel of land they own, which sits behind the 2.8ha site taken over by the Education Department.

As the remaining property is landlocked, the Nicolaous insist the government must provide access, power and water as previously promised.

“We’ve moved out,” they said in a statement. “Some equipment still needs to be moved onto the back block that the Education Department didn’t purchase. To do that, we are waiting on them to provide the promised access road, power and water.”

On Friday, Michael Nicolaou was seen moving goats from the site.

The Education Department says the couple was issued a notice to vacate 120 days ago and missed the government’s deadline, prompting the threat of sheriff intervention.

The Nicolaous blamed delays on recent wet weather, including the relocation of their greyhounds. They also gained the support of Liberal MP Robyn Preston, who wrote to Acting Education Minister Courtney Houssos seeking a month-long extension.

Source: The Daily Telegraph.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

More than a miracle: How Sydney man Nick Tringas survived the unimaginable

They say, "never say never," and for Nick Tringas, February 18, 2024, was the day that changed his life forever.

Police issue new appeal for missing NSW man Peter Christofidis

40 years after the disappearance of Peter Christofidis in Cheltenham, Morrabbin Crime Investigation Unit detectives have issued a new appeal.

Yiannis Economou: ‘Diaspora is the bridge for Australian investment in Greece’

The Deputy Minister to the Greek Prime Minister and government spokesperson, Yiannis Economou, talks Greek Diaspora and bilateral relations.