Snowtown murderer James Vlassakis applies for parole

·

Convicted murderer James Vlassakis, one of the perpetrators in the infamous Snowtown “bodies-in-the-barrels” case, has formally applied for release on parole, the South Australian Parole Board has confirmed to ABC.

Vlassakis, now in his mid-40s, was just 19 when he became involved in the serial killings, which took place between 1992 and 1999 and were among the worst in Australia’s history.

He was found guilty of four murders but received a reduced non-parole period of 26 years due to his cooperation with authorities, which was pivotal in securing convictions against ringleaders John Bunting and Robert Wagner.

Frances Nelson says prisoners with life sentences have their case reviewed by the parole board annually. ABC News. Lincoln Rothall
Frances Nelson has said prisoners with life sentences have their case reviewed by the parole board annually. Photo: ABC News/Lincoln Rothall.

Frances Nelson KC, Chair of the Parole Board, confirmed that a hearing for Vlassakis’ application is at least eight weeks away. His image remains suppressed under court orders.

The case gained notoriety after police discovered the remains of victims in six plastic barrels stored in a disused bank vault in Snowtown in May 1999. Many victims were known personally to the killers.

Victims’ Rights Commissioner Sarah Quick said she had consulted with affected families and made a submission to the board regarding the parole application.

Last year, fellow accomplice Mark Ray Haydon was released after serving 25 years, under strict conditions including electronic monitoring, a curfew, and restrictions on contact with co-offenders and victims’ families.

Source: ABC News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Greek MEP Eva Kaili stripped of European Parliament Vice Presidency

Greek MEP Eva Kaili has been stripped of her European Parliament vice-presidential obligations and duties.

Savvas Sousamidis: Young organ player making waves with his musical talent

The Greek Herald spoke to Savvas Sousamidis to learn about his musical journey and his dreams as a young musician.

‘Untamed Voices’ sells out, delivering a powerful tribute to rebetiko and female expression

The 44th Greek Festival of Sydney proudly presented Untamed Voices on Sunday, April 19, 2026, at the iconic Factory Theatre.