SA dementia patient Nicolaos Malandris denied bail amid attempted murder case

·

An 88-year-old dementia patient facing an attempted murder charge has been denied bail after his lawyer argued for his transfer to a public hospital.

Nicolaos Malandris, who has been remanded in custody since October, was seeking bail to be moved to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Woodville, but Adelaide Magistrates Court rejected the application on Thursday, January 16.

Malandris’ lawyer, Vageli Dimou, argued that his client should not remain in supervised remand and described the case as “destined for the Supreme Court.” However, prosecutors opposed the move, citing concerns about the safety of other patients, and Magistrate Brian Nitschke agreed.

“At this stage, I’m not prepared to grant bail … his present location ensures his safety and the safety of the public and the alleged victim,” Magistrate Nitschke said.

Adelaide Magistrates Court.

Malandris, of Wingfield, is facing one count of attempted murder and one count of causing serious harm with intent following an incident in October 2024, in which he allegedly injured an 85-year-old woman known to him.

Dimou previously argued that Malandris could not receive his pension while in custody, which hindered his ability to be assessed and transferred to a more appropriate facility.

Prosecutors also noted that Malandris is subject to a “level three inpatient order,” which complicates his custodial status and any potential bail.

Dimou proposed alternative arrangements for bail, but Magistrate Nitschke refused, remanding Malandris in custody until his next court appearance in April.

Source: The Advertiser.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Ariane Leondaridis and Katia Kelso launch fashion label Ilio Nema

Ariane Leondaridis and Katia Kelso began planning their label "all from our living room” after the COVID-19 pandemic halted travel.

Christos Tsiolkas named finalist of Melbourne Prize for Literature

Tsiolkas is in the running, alongside Jordie Albiston, Maxine Beneba Clarke, and Pi O, for the $60,000 award for the triennial prize.

Hollywood actress Monica Bellucci expresses love for Greece during Thessaloniki visit

Hollywood actress Monica Bellucci has expressed her love for Greece as she attended the 64th Thessaloniki Film Festival on Wednesday.