Kyrgios, Tsitsipas among entrants in US Open warm-up event

·

Nick Kyrgios and Stefanos Tsitsipas are among the entrants for next month’s Western & Southern Open in New York, which will serve as a warm-up for the US Open.

Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Serena Williams have also entered the tournament, organisers said.

It will be the first time Kyrgios will face Djokovic since the Greek Australian expressed his fury at the world No.1 conducting a tournament earlier in the COVID-19 pandemic, which resulted in several players contracting the virus, Djokovic included.

Kyrgios has also previously expressed concern that the US Open is to go ahead from August 31 amid the growing coronavirus crisis in the US.

The US has recorded 4.4 million cases of COVID-19, including more than 150,000 deaths, according to the Johns Hopkins University tally.

Organisers of the warm-up event, which begins on August 20 and was relocated from Cincinnati this year because of COVID-19, said defending champions Daniil Medvedev and Madison Keys are also among the initial entries.

The ATP Masters 1000 event will be the first on the men’s calendar since play was suspended in March because of the virus.

Nick Kyrgios (left) and Stefanos Tsitsipas are among the entrants for next month’s Western & Southern Open in New York.

Among the other entries on the men’s side, which includes 40 of the top 43 ranked ATP players, are world No.3 Dominic Thiem, 2017 champion Grigor Dimitrov and Marin Cilic (2016).

World No.3 Karolina Pliskova, who won the event in 2016, is the highest-ranked player on the women’s side that will feature 39 of the top 53 players in the world.

Wimbledon was cancelled this year and the French Open is scheduled to follow the US Open in September.

READ MORE: Nick Kyrgios takes swipe at tennis’ biggest names in Instagram Live chat with Andy Murray.

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Fronditha Care appoints new CEO

"Fronditha Care holds a special place as one of the few independent aged care service providers contributing essential culturally appropriate services to the community.”

‘The Taverna’ set to make national debut with a strong serving of laughter

Director Alkinos Tsilimidos' new film, The Taverna, is hilarious and you can be lucky enough to watch it in specific cinemas across Australia from today.

Greek Australian Dialogue Series continues with video conference featuring Haris Siampanis

The Greek Australian Dialogue Series will continue next week with a special video conference held by Haris Siampanis, Chief Executive Officer of the Benaki Museum in Athens.