Greece and Saudi Arabia lead efforts to avert Red Sea oil tanker disaster

·

Greece and Saudi Arabia are joining forces to evacuate and tow a Greek-owned oil tanker Sounion, which was attacked last week in the Red Sea by the Houthis.

The tanker was targeted by multiple projectiles off Yemen’s port city of Hodeidah as the Iran-aligned Houthis has been attacking ships in solidarity with Palestinians in the war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza.

According to Bloomberg, the plan to evacuate the tanker involves transferring the oil inside (approximately 150,000 tons) to another vessel, while Sounion will be towed to a safe port, probably in Djibouti.

Greek, French and Italian ships from the European Union’s Aspides naval operation will escort the tanker and the Saudis will likely oversee the oil transfer.

The Houthis have agreed to allow the tugboats to remove the Sounion. The group later released a video of their attack on the Greek-owned oil tanker.

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, European partners and key regional players, including Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, have successfully cooperated to make the evacuation possible.

Greek Foreign Minister Georgios Gerapetritis said on Thursday that he spoke with the Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister to ensure that “this matter will be handled as safely as possible.”

This evacuation comes after conflicting reports emerged during the past week over whether the Sounion was leaking oil into the Red Sea or not.

statement from the Pentagon on Tuesday, August 27 indicated the tanker was still burning and appeared to be leaking oil, whilst the EU’s Aspides mission later reported there was no oil spill from the Greek-flagged tanker.

In the absolute worst-case scenario, a leak of all Sounion’s cargo would represent the fifth-largest spill on record, surpassing incidents like the 2018 Sanchi spill near China. 

Source: Bloomberg.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

Olympiacos President to face trial over death of policeman in fan violence incident

Vangelis Marinakis, the president of Olympiacos FC, has been ordered to stand trial in Greece, accused of inciting sports-related violence.

IHO NYX brings Greek Rock to centre stage in Sydney this weekend

As Sunday, April 6 approaches, all eyes are on IHO NYX, the band ready to electrify Sydney with a concert dedicated entirely to Greek Rock.

You May Also Like

James Mina pleads guilty of drug supply after Sylvania Waters police raid

Sylvania Waters local James Mina pleaded guilty to prohibited drug supply and drug possession after a police raid uncovered large amounts of cocaine in his room at his family's mansion on February 13.

What you missed in the Manly pride jersey saga

There has been a lot said about the seven Manly Sea Eagles players who refused to wear pride jerseys for Thursday’s match.

Met museum returns stolen 7th century bronze griffin head to Greece

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has returned a bronze griffin head to Greece after internal research confirmed it was stolen.