‘They are men’: Dr Ioannis Filippatos weighs in on Olympic boxing gender row

·

Dr Ioannis Filippatos, former chairman of the International Boxing Association’s (IBA) medical committee, has weighed in on the gender controversy surrounding Algeria’s Imane Khelif and Taiwan’s Lin Yu-ting at this year’s Paris Olympics.

Dr Filippatos spoke during a farcical press conference on Tuesday morning alongside IBA’s Russian chief Umar Kremlev and CEO Chris Roberts, where they attempted to clarify why his association threw out Khelif and Yu-ting from their World Championships last year.

The press conference descended into chaos amid technical errors, language barriers and raised tempers.

Kremlev said that two independent sex chromosome tests prompted the disqualification of the two women from the 2023 World Championships – a decision that has not been upheld by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

The first test was in May 2022 and a laboratory in Istanbul found “inconsistencies.” A further test was carried out eight months later at the World Championships at which point the IBA declared the two fighters ineligible to fight in the women’s competition.

The IBA held a press conference in Paris Monday, where its president, Umar Kremlev, appeared via video.
The IBA held a press conference in Paris on Monday, where its president, Umar Kremlev, appeared via video. Dr Ioannis Filippatos sits on the left.

“The tests show they were men,” Kremlev said. “We don’t verify what they have between their legs. We don’t know if they were born like that, or if some changes were made.”

Dr Filippatos added that “the medical result, blood result, looks – and the laboratory says – that these boxers are male.”

IOC president Thomas Bach and high-level officials from Algeria and Taiwan have strenuously defended Khelif and Lin, saying they were born and raised as women, and have passports saying that.

The IOC has said that both Khelif and Lin, who were registered as women at birth and held passports as females, were eligible to compete in Paris.

Both Khelif and Lin have guaranteed themselves medals at the Olympics, with IOC eligibility rules in place for Paris 2024 after Games bosses stripped the IBA of the right to run the competition over corruption and governance issues.

Source: The Washington Post.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

IHO NYX brings Greek Rock to centre stage in Sydney this weekend

As Sunday, April 6 approaches, all eyes are on IHO NYX, the band ready to electrify Sydney with a concert dedicated entirely to Greek Rock.

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

You May Also Like

Stefanos Tsitsipas into first Swiss Open quarter-final

Greek top seed tennis player, Stefanos Tsitsipas played a victorious hour and 43-minute match in Gstaad on Wednesday local time.

Tom Koutsantonis MP tests positive to COVID-19

Tom Koutsantonis MP has announced he has tested positive to COVID-19 and is currently isolating at home with his family.

2,300-year-old tomb unearthed in Greece

A tomb in the ancient Macedonian city of Aegae in modern Vergina, Greece,  has been unearthed according to an All That’s Interesting report.