Award-winning Sydney cocktail bar splits from Jon Adgemis’ Public Hospitality Group

·

The operator of award-winning Sydney CBD cocktail bar Maybe Sammy and Randwick pizzeria Maybe Frank have split from Jon Adgemis’ Public Hospitality Group.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald, Maybe Group founders Vince Lombardo and Stefano Catino announced the end of the partnership with PHG on Friday, July 12, and said the venues would be better served under Maybe Group’s wing.

Lombardo said their Paddington tequila bar El Primo Sanchez will also “transition” from PHG to The Maybe Group through a licence agreement. The pub where the bar is located was put up for sale last week.

Public Hospitality Group’s Jon Adgemis has had his flagship venue, El Primo Sanchez bar taken over by lender, Australia Pacific Mortgage Fund.
Public Hospitality Group’s Jon Adgemis has had his flagship venue, El Primo Sanchez bar taken over by lender, Australia Pacific Mortgage Fund.

This latest development is a fresh blow for Adgemis who struck a $400 million refinancing deal in May 2024 with Deutsche Bank, Gemi Investments, Archibald Capital and Muzinich & Co, to save his PHG from collapse.

Adgemis’ project started to fray after he took on hundreds of millions in debt at high interest rates from a variety of lenders just before financing costs rose. Some lenders started trying to sell off his properties, staff were left out of pocket, and suppliers were unpaid. The Australian Taxation Office also visited the pub group’s offices in early May 2024.

In June this year, operations at the Hellenic Club of Sydney’s Alpha restaurant and Beta Events were taken over by Con Dedes of Dedes Waterfront Group after PHG made a swift exit.

Other properties of Adgemis’ have also been seized by lenders. In Sydney’s Potts Point, Bank of Queensland has taken charge of one of his properties in Ward Avenue.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Dendias demands apology from Ukraine over naval drone incident

Nikos Dendias has said Ukraine owes Greece a “big apology” after a Ukrainian naval drone was discovered off the coast of Lefkada.

Unidentified odour blankets southern Athens as authorities search for source

Residents across southern parts of Athens were left alarmed after a strong unexplained smell swept through several coastal suburbs.

Greece denies role in Israeli interception of Gaza-bound flotilla

Greece has denied any involvement in the Israeli military’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla bound for Gaza.

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

You May Also Like

Samian Association of SA showcases Samos’ role in iconic Greek spirit Metaxa

On Sunday, October 13, the Samian Association of South Australian “Pythagoras” Inc held a 100-person sold out event on the Grange foreshore.

Man faces court after pleading guilty to murdering Greek Australian Frankie Prineas

Mr Prineas’s father, Victor Prineas, told the court Newby “deserves no mercy” for killing his son, and should be handed a long jail term.

Turkey officially opens former Byzantine Chora Church as mosque

Turkey's President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan formally opened a former Byzantine church in Istanbul as a mosque on Monday, four years after his government had...